Chapter 12: Extracurricular

(Y/N)'s POV:

Pyrrha of Team JNPR was currently demonstrating her prowess to the class, sparring against all four members of Team CRDL. She was effortlessly fighting against all of them. It's no wonder that she was top of her previous school and was champion of the Mistral Regionals. She delivers a finishing blow to Cardin with a jab to the ribs.

Glynda approaches him, who clutches his ribs, from behind to end the match.

Glynda: "And that's the match."

Cardin: "Tch! Lucky shot." He barely mumbles out before collapsing.

Glynda: "Well done, Miss Nikos. You should have no problem qualifying for the tournament."

Pyrrha: "Thank you, professor."

Glynda: "Alright, now I know that's a tough act to follow, but we have time for one more sparring match. Any volunteers?" She takes a look at all of the other students to see for a hand or voice in the crowd.

Glynda: "Ms. Belladonna?" Her eyes land on Blake, who shuts her book and stares wide-eyed at the professor. 

Glynda: "You've been rather docile for the past few classes. Why don't you-"

Mercury: "I'll do it." Mercury raises his hand somewhat enthusiastically.

Glynda: "Mercury, is it? Very well, let's find you an opponent."

Mercury: "Actually, I wanna fight . . . her." He points to Pyrrha.

Pyrrha: "Me?"

Glynda: "I'm afraid Miss Nikos has just finished the match. I recommend you choose another partner."

Pyrrha: "No, it's fine! I'd be happy to oblige."

After putting on his combat gear, Mercury comes into the arena, sizing up Pyrrha. The match begins with him making the first attack, and Pyrrha responds by knocking him down. He recovers and deflects an attack and begins trading blows with Pyrrha until she knocks him back with her shield.

Ruby is enthralled by the match, and she turns to Emerald.

Ruby: "Hey, your friend's doing pretty good." She gives a fake smile and then rolls her eyes as Ruby turns her back. Something about her team is off.

Mercury unleashes a series of powerful kicks, but Pyrrha allows one to slam against her forearm before Mercury manages to disarm, a kick impaling her blade into the ground. However, Pyrrha uses her polarity, redirecting the direction of his next kick. As she charges him with her shield, he fires off of it and turns his back to her. Pyrrha attempts to rush him again, but what comes next surprises us all.

Mercury: "I forfeit." 

(Y/N): "?" Pyrrha almost stumbles to a stop besides him.

Pyrrha: "You . . . don't even want to try?"

Mercury: "What's the point? You're a world-renowned fighter. We're obviously leagues apart." Glynda seems disappointed as she inputs his loss onto the tablet.

Glynda: "In that case . . . Pyrrha Nikos is the victor of the match . . . again."

I catch a glympse of Emerald smirking as Mercury sneers smugly. Pyrrha seems annoyed and disappointed, placing her left hand on her hip.

Glynda: "Next time, you may want to think a little harder before choosing an opponent."

Mercury: "I'll be sure to do that."

An alarm sounds which jolts Blake who has nodded off.

Glynda: "That is all for today. And remember, the dance is this weekend. But you all have your first mission on Monday. I will not accept any excuses."