twenty-seven

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - S E V EN
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ 

Normani liked the sound her boots made when they crushed against the ice on the ground. Her steps were almost rhythmic. Her hands were buried deep in the pocket of her coat and the fingers of her left hand fiddled with the fresh bound leather of her visa.

Finally reaching her Honda civic, she got into her car and started the car and drove out of the parking lot of the British embassy.

It was a cold, frigid afternoon and the roads were congested. Normani fiddled with her music app for a few minutes until she found a playlist she liked to keep her company on the drive. She hummed along to Janelle Monaé’s Dirty Computer as the traffic moved at a sluggish pace.

It was the day before Christmas Eve so the entire city was scrambling to get their last minute shopping done. Had she not needed to head down to the embassy, she’d have stayed home.

As the song changed over from Take A Byte to Jane’s Dream, her phone shrilled with an incoming video call.

She smiled when she saw the name on the screen and positioned her phone into its holder that was glued to her dashboard.

“Hello,” Ayoola greeted and Normani reciprocated a greeting.

“It’s so good to hear from you, it’s been a while,” Normani said.

“I was just calling to check in on you, are you driving?”

“Yes, but I’m headed home now, where are you?”

“I’m in Emmanuel’s office, I dropped off some lunch for him,” she replied.

“How is he?” Normani asked.

“He’s fine, but I think you should be more concerned with how I am feeling and how I’ll be feeling for the next nine months,” Ayoola replied cheekily.

“Oh my god, oh my god! Congratulations, wow I’m so happy for you!”

“Thank you,” Ayoola replied with a relaxed laugh.

“I knew I wasn’t seeing things when I saw that glow you’ve been sporting recently, I just didn’t want to assume... I- how many weeks are you?”

“I’m just over nine weeks, I found out yesterday and I’m about to tell Emmanuel today, wish me luck!”

“Come on, he’s going to be over the moon. You’re giving him his first child.”

“Yeah, but you know how I’ve told you about how tight money is right now, I just hope this brings him more joy than stress.”

“Trust me, he will be ecstatic. Money problems may be temporary but a child, a child is forever. You’ve brought him eternal happiness. And you’ve made me happy for checking on me and for giving me these great news. As soon as this call ends, I’m going to Pintrest cute baby gifts and then I’m gonna start planning to buy and ship them over to you.”

“Goodness, I don’t even know the baby’s gender!”

“I’ll stick to neutral stuff, okay? All babies love safari themed stuff right? Giraffe blankets and bottles are totally gender neutral right?”

Ayoola laughed and Normani could see the mirth shining in her dark eyes and she couldn’t remember a time her friend was happier than this, except maybe for the day Emmanuel had proposed and Normani had been the first person Ayoola had called.

She’d grown more beautiful as time had passed. Her face was plumper, filled with joy and a good diet and she’d grown her hair out and it rested upon her shoulders in a river of black silk.