one

C H A P T E R O N E
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

If Normani Kordei had been told on the morning of that fateful Friday that she'd end up meeting him at an event where she had been a backup dancer for SZA, she would've probably laughed in the person's face -- and not just any laugh -- a manic hysteric, laugh of disbelief then she'd proceed to cuss the person out because based on how her day had started, it had seemed highly unlikely.

But it had happened.

She had danced as a backup for up-and-coming mainstream sensation SZA and she'd met him.

X O

Her day had started out horribly. First, her alarm didn't ring because her phone had died during the night while it was supposed to charge -- because her phone was slowly deteriorating and she didn't have the time or money to replace it yet.

She'd missed her first lecture of the day in which she was supposed to write her test on Dance History. She tried to set up a make-up test session for that afternoon but her lecturer, a man she was sure was born with a stick up his tight ass had refused to let her make it up. Then, she'd found at that her 11:00 ballet practical slot had been swapped with Jenna Wimmon's 14:00 and she hadn't been informed prior and so --- she'd have to take her practical at 14:00 when she'd planned to be home by 12:00 after her last class for the day but now that plan would have to take a backseat.

By the time she got home, she was tired and annoyed. All she wanted to do was nap for the rest of the afternoon, order a box of pizza and eat as much as she could in the evening and binge watch something on Netflix to take her mind off of things.

The place Normani had called home for the past two years was a cosy two-bedroom apartment off campus. It was empty when she let herself in and dropped her backpack by the front door. She walked a couple of paces from the front door into her bedroom and the first thing she did was slip out of her day outfit, sighing in relief when her bra slid down her arms. She rolled her shoulders to loosen the stiff, overworked muscles.

After changing into a tee shirt that was three times her size, Normani roamed into the small open-plan kitchen and got some of last night's leftover pizza out of the fridge and into the microwave. Normani was never one to eat such fatty foods before a practical so she'd had to munch on carrot sticks for dinner last night while Anika, her roommate had chowed the pizza to her heart's content, alone.

She took the plate of pizza to her room where she settled onto her red-silk themed bedding and loaded season two of Blackish via Netflix. Normani fell asleep by the third episode, exhaustion finally claiming her body.

She had a good, deep sleep -- the kind that was dreamless and comfortable and so it was understandable when she felt slightly disgruntled for being rudely awakened by Anika an hour and a half into her delicious nap.

"Bitch, if you don't have a good reason as to why you're interrupting my nap right now I'm gonna smack you into the next dimension," Normani grumbled as she turned her head to look up at her best friend's amused expression. Normani had never been a morning person and always got verbally violent whenever her sleep was interrupted.

"I forgot how cute you get when you're tired." Anika cooed, not the slightest bit affected by her grumpy friend's words. She pinched Normani's cheek playfully and Normani slapped her hand away.