Chapter #5 Isen

The cafeteria was swarming with almost everyone who had heard that the daily pranks and beat ups had begun. I sat there, twiddling with my fingers thinking, 'should I get the chocolate cake? Or should the cinnamon bun?'

      The amazing thought came to him, 'why not both?' He could easily convince others that he was sick, or was getting it for Arlo.

      "Why stop at one, when you can have two?" A voice in his head asked. "The more the better."

      I continued to gaze at the cafeteria doors. For now, I had more important matters to attend.

      Suddenly, Arlo appeared right behind me. "What are you thinking about?"

      I shrugged, "nothing really."

      "Are you sure?" Arlo asked, he gave me a sad look.

      I nodded, "Are you facing your emotional problems again?"

       Arlo glared at me, "since when do I have emotional problems?"

      I laughed, "jeez, no need to get angry, I was just talking about your attitude."

      He paused, "is it really that bad?"

      I shrugged, "how was it this morning?"

      He looked over to the dark empty halls, "poetic, cheerful, bright..."

      I put my hand up, "well then you certainly are facing attitude changes today."

      He scoffed, "and what's wrong with that?"

      I smiled sympathetically, "well, people tend to stay farther away from you."

      He shook his head, "I've got you and Seraphina, I'm not asking for more friends."

     I chuckled, "I'm not saying that, I'm just worried about the isolation the others give you." Arlo spent most of his time listening to people speak trash about him. I was surprised it hadn't got to him yet.

      "It doesn't matter." He told me sternly, "who cares about that."

      "I care." I muttered, "you can't keep on pretending that you aren't affected."

      He gave me a glare, "why do you always have to turn every topic of our conversation about me? Are you ashamed of having a friend like me?"

      I shook my head, "of course not! You know I care about you, it's not my fault you always blame me for every problem we have!"

      He gave me a scowl, and stormed off.

I grumbled something under my breath, gosh, he was so sensitive. Didn't he realize that I was just worried about him? I had no idea about what Arlo was talking about, we didn't always talk about him, he was just being overly dramatic.

I heard a couple yells behind me, 'what is it now?' Was the first thing I thought, before a big fist came my way. My instincts luckily took over, and the next thing I knew, I was holding the hand before it could make direct contact against my face.

I think the person just realized who they tried to punch, because the minute I caught their hand, they began to shiver uncontrollably, muttering prayers under their breath.

"What the hell as that?" I demanded, giving a fearsome glare.

The person continued to shake, "it was a dare," they admitted, "I didn't want to..."

I shook my head, "you always have the choice," I replied. "But since I'm nice, I'll let you go."

They smiled, "thanks Obtuse!"

      I glared, "please don't call me that."

      True pack of friends left, leaving me gawking. 'Do they call me that as an insult, because the way they said, sounded almost mocking.'

       "Of course they use it as an insult." My mind growled, "Obtuse isn't a name you want to be called."

       I groaned, what did they find amusing in that name, all it meant was a person who was blunt and stupid...

        Wait! They were saying that I was blunt and stupid! How dare they!!!

       "Took you long enough," my mind groaned, "I can't believe I got stuck with someone like you."

        I shook my head, wait, then was I being inconsiderate to Arlo before? I should go apologize later.

Hopefully Altruistic wouldn't be there, we both couldn't stand each other. Ever since she came into Arlo's life, my time with him has been cut short. That is why our friendships more strained. I couldn't stand her, she was the absolute opposite of me. Kind, Smart, incredibly smart, and selfless. I was kind only to Arlo and the authorities, smart only when my life depended on it, and selfless when I felt like it.

        We had only one thing that we agreed on, this time. Opposites do not attract.

        She was a god in the school, and I was a measly boy called, Obtuse. Mocked and bullied. Even Nefarious, Noxious, and Defamatory got it better than me. Nobody in the top 7 had any of these problems.

       Nefarious, Noxious, and Defamatory were all feared, so they got the peaceful and violent life.

       Insidious and Unusual were known for being odd, but they got fairly along with people.

       Altruistic was a god sent from heaven. At least that's what everyone says.

       And then there was me, the dumb stupid boy who had a great ability. Trust me, it sucks.

      Then I remembered Arlo. He didn't care if I was stupid or not, he was my friend. I smiled, well I got what most people didn't, I have a good friend. Someone I could rely on. And I would never take that for granted.

        And now you know that Isen is Obtuse! I hope you are enjoying the story! Thanks for reading!