11

We all sat there with our mouths wide open. Keira was the first to speak. "Did Carson just ask out?" "Monique de la Couer?" Clarissa finished for her. "Yep." I confirmed as I watched them hug.

My eyes scanned the 'popular table' looking for Eric. Surprisingly, he looked just as shocked as I was. I kept looking and I saw Monique's best friend, Marcy Mason, looking way to pleased for my liking.

I sat through lunch, watching Carson and Monique. They were sitting next to each other and Marcy had moved to sit beside my brother. I could see the pain on his face as he watched his friend with Monique and was forced to listen to her best friends blabbering.

It's not the fact that Monique is like the most popular girl in school or the fact that I like Carson that bothers me so much (although those are part of it). It's also that Monique hates me. Marcy isn't much of a fan either but I think it's mainly because she's under Monique's influence. They think I'm trying to steal Eric and Carson from them. Which I totally don't get because I hardly see them throughout the school day.

"Ari?.....Ari??" I heard Clarissa calling, taking me out of my thoughts. "You okay?" Keira asked. "Ya I'm fine. I was just thinking. And pitying Eric." I said pointing at my brother who looked like he was about to slap Marcy. I watched him pull out his phone and shove Marcy away for a second and it looked like he was sending a text message. He put his phone away and began looking around the cafeteria and I heard my text alert.

I picked up my phone, unlocked it and read the message sent from Eric.

ARI!! Come save me please I am going to lose it!!

I smiled and began getting up. "Ari what are you doing?" Keira asked skeptically. "Don't worry. I'm just going to save Eric." I giggled, showing them the message. They laughed and got up with me and we made our way over to Eric.

"Hey Er!" I cheered, wrapping my arms around my brothers neck. Marcy fake smiled. "Aww Eric isn't that cute. It's your little sister!" "Oh hi Marcy! So great to see you! Well I need Eric so bye!" I replied. Eric began getting up and and grabbed his arm, and so did Marcy. "Eric you don't have to go with her!" She giggled while glaring at me. "Sorry Marc, my sister needs me." Eric apologized while getting up and walking with me.

"Hey Er!" I heard a deep voice call out. "Where you going man?" Carson asked, hand in hand with Monique. "Oh uhh Ariel needed me." Eric explained. Something flashed in Carson's eyes but I missed it. "You okay Princess?" Carson asked me. Monique looked at Carson horrified. "Carson! Why did you just call her Princess?? I'm your girlfriend now and your only princess is ME!!" She yelled.

The whole cafeteria was silent and all eyes were on Monique and Carson. I stood with Eric, Keira and Clarissa, forcing back a laugh. Carson gave Eric the help-me look and Eric walked over to the fuming Monique. "Monique. Princess is what me, Carson, Alex and Jesse have called my sister since we were kids. Because she's named after a princess. Not any other reason." Eric explained.

Monique looked from Eric, to me, to Carson, to Eric, to me, to Carson and well you get it. "Alex. Is that true?" She asked finally, turning to look at her group. "Yep. I've called Ariel Princess since I met her. Same with the other boys."

She looked back at Carson and sighed. "Okay I forgive you. Just don't call her that again." Monique demanded. "Anything Moni!" Carson said before pulling her into a hug.

Eric walked over to me and we began leaving again. "Don't worry Car. I'm fine." I whispered to myself. "What was that Ari?" Eric asked. "Oh nothing." I said and we left the cafeteria.

*******

That night I was in my room doing homework when I heard a knock at my door. "Come in!" I called and turned away from my math book.

Eric walked in and sat on my bed. "What's up?" I asked. "I'm bored. Usually I have Carson to hang out with, but he's with Monique." My brother pouted, making a weird voice when he mentioned Monique's name. "I take it you don't like her?" I smiled.

"I hate her! She's a stuck up, annoying little brat that somehow managed to snag my best friend." He ranted. "I don't get it. Why didn't you tell Carson you didn't like Monique?" I asked. Eric lay down on my bed and started talking. "I don't know. I guess I figured they wouldn't last very long." "Don't worry. You're probably right. They won't last very long." I sighed. But I'm not really sure which one of us I was trying to convince.