"Everything's going to be okay." He kisses my cheek before going to leave.

I try to smile before getting out too, everything better be okay. Sage and Ella join us at the back of the truck. The twins are at Ashton's house, babysitting the girls. Hell will freeze over before I let them get involved with any of this. It's bad enough Sage is involved but there's not much I can do about that. Zev and Gabe park next to us, the pair getting out with serious looks on their faces.

Stella and James are the last to join us, I avoid his eyes. No matter how many times he's told me he's not mad I still feel guilty. Whatever happens to him tonight will be my fault.

Whatever happens to all of them is my fault.

We sit there for a while, unsure of what to do. We got to the field earlier than planned. I'm beginning to feel like a sitting duck when Steinborn's baseball team walks down to the field.

I don't breathe once I locate Bennett in the group, walking in the back as always. His tattoo on proud display with his sleeves rolled up. Scotty walks beside him, dragging his bat through the gravel. Ashton pulls me tighter into him, his arms wrapped around my chest. Bennett tracks the movement, taking note of Ashton's jersey before fixating on the collection of hickeys I have on my neck.

Ashton's theory being why let one flaw ruin a beautiful canvas. It's safe to say that, unlike the few on Ashton's neck, I've kept mine covered up at school but I was feeling spiteful this afternoon. Bennett's smirk turns to a sneer. He tried to give me a hickey once, I stopped him and it led to fight. That's why I always wore his necklace, it was something to prove I was his.

He spits at our feet as he passes, Scotty turns around to point his bat at me with an evil smile. Let the games begin.

The guys grab their stuff but I drag Ashton aside, guilt building within me.

"Are you ok?" He asks, grabbing my hand.

I nod, looking over at my brother who's already beginning to stretch his arm out. He insisted on pitching this game, Coach didn't protest. I wish he had.

I start to sketch stars onto his skin, not wanting to face him. "I need you to do me a favor."

"Anything."

I look up at him, ashamed for what I'm about to ask. "Make sure whatever happens, Sage isn't involved."

The words taste like dirt in my mouth but I know Bennett. While Ashton might anger him, he knows Sage is what will hurt me the most. And a fight will most definitely be breaking out tonight.

He nods his head, a determined glint in his eyes. "Of course."

I drop his hand, "I'm sorry to ask because I know he's focused on you too but I couldn't live with myself if-"

He pulls me into a bone crushing hug, "Sage is first priority."

I hug him back, enjoying a moment of peace before the storm. "Thank you."

He cups my face, his thumb brushing across my cheek. "You just have to make it through this week, Sweetheart."

The small sense of relief I felt disappears at the reminder of my birthday. Next week a whole new from of hell begins as social workers and interviews become my new reality. This is the last little bump in the road on my way to freedom. For my family I can make it through this. Nothing Bennett tries will break me. I've spent too long allowing people to walk all over me.