bonus chapter. ( three )

the shattered teacup

— falling in reverse.
( part 1 / 3 )

( in which the shattered teacup comes together once more, but all the pieces are in the wrong places. )

Some say that when you meet your soulmate the world fades away into nothing. Some say you feel fireworks in your heart and butterflies in your stomach and that it's the most amazing feeling in the world. Some say that the greatest soulmates meet in the strangest of ways.

Octavia met them at 8:17 on a foggy Wednesday morning with the sound of a late bell ringing in her ears, and the scent of old standardized textbooks and the hint of weed the druggy across the room couldn't wash out of the one hoodie he owns fading away until all she could think of was them.

JANE can feel a shift in the atmosphere, it's blatant, but that's to be expected. Anything new in a place like Forks is always blatant, a place where everything runs more uniform then a conveyor belt, and all it's residents play their role like the puppets on their stings that they are.

It had bothered Jane from the moment she had recognized the subconscious behavior, perhaps even before then. She distinctly remembers when her irritation at having to keep her long blonde hair perfect became to much to handle, and a pair of scissors seemed like the best answer to her six year old mind.

Her parents had been distraught to come home and find their perfect daughter sitting in a halo of blonde locks with a smile on her face and bright red scissors clutched in her tiny palms, previously long hair cut into a jagged bob. Jane could still remember Alec's shrieks of delighted laughter as he toyed curiously with the fallen blond strands while James mother had rushed to grab the scissors and clean up the mess.

That had been one of the last times she has seen her father before he had been deployed overseas and died on the front lines, Jane could remember the confusion she felt when her mother had answered the phone one Wednesday morning and had broken into sobs a few minutes later, the home phone fallen from her hands, which had come to curl onto her face. Alec had gone to comfort their mother in some childlike way, but Jane had held him back, wrapping a small hand around his wrist and holding him close. They weren't a perfect family any more, they were a widowed mother with a daughter to rebellious for the small town mentality and a son to quiet to ever fit in.

Jane could remember down the the very minute when Demetrius Athens walked into the twins previously very exclusive life and made himself right at home. It was August 28th, the first day of fourth grade and Demetrius had just moved with his family the previously week.

Demetrius "call me Demetri" was a ball of mischievous light and raised eyebrows that had teachers glancing at him as though he were about to cause trouble at any minute, and had girls who were sure they were mature enough to have boyfriends giggling. Jane had no idea why Demetri had decided that they, a pair of twins who never talked to anyone else and practically radiated 'go the fuck away' energy were the type of people someone like Demetri, someone who could have been so effortlessly popular would want to befriend, but when asked about it one night years later, Demetri would laugh and say he 'just knew they were meant to be'. (Jane would go on to punch him in the shoulder and snarl that he was getting soft, but not as hard as she could have because maybe she was a little soft for them).