( i. ) the wanderings of octavia lahote

THE WANDERINGS OF OCTAVIA LAHOTE
CHAPTER ONE

( EDITED )

It had all started by accident really, but then again must great things do. And yes, this was definitely a great thing.

Octavia had just wandered into the woods. Sneaking out of that cramped three bedroom that really should only occupy two people at most was something the young girl had mastered over the years. She had learned the art at the tender age of four, before her father had left her mother and fights were a common occurrence at the Lahote residence. Now it was only to easy for the nine year old to slip out of her window, making sure the frame didn't get jammed on her way out, and leave without a sound being made. Now she wandered around the lush green that she had known her entire life, the real place she thought of when the word home came to mind. Octavia had always thought the forest surrounding the woods where she lived were beautiful. With their dark, dense trees, and vibrant blooming flowers during the springs and summers, while the winters covered the ground in a powdery white haven that octavia would never not adore.

Now she wandered the forest, looking for a friend to talk to, or someone to entertain her ever curious young mind. That friend came soon enough in a mountain lion of whom the girl had come to adore over the years she had spent in the forest.

Octavia had always known she was different. She knew that even the other residents of the reserve didn't love the forests as much as she, she knew she could always tell when spring would finally come by the way the wind whispered in the trees, she knew that no one else could here the birds chatter about the best trees to make nests in, or where the squirrels should hide their nuts.

No, those things were singular to Octavia, and she didn't find it in her to care. It did however, make her different from the other kids she knew. It meant she didn't care as much about what was playing on their small tv, or what boy the other girls thought was the cutest. That simply isn't who she was.

So instead she walked the forest while chatting pleasantly with the cougar who talked proudly of the cubs she had just birthed.

"They both truly are wonderful. Both are strong and healthy, and will make wonderful hunters one day." She purred in triumph as she talked of her little hunters in training.

"Thats fantastic! I'm so glad they are both doing well." Octavia congratulated honestly, a happy smile on her face.

Suddenly the large cat stopped, and Octavia could see her long claws digging into the earth as her body went stiff and muscles tensed. "Something's watching us. A predator."

Octavia didn't worry to much at the news, seeing as every animal she's met, predator or prey, has never attacked her before.

"It shouldn't be that big of a deal. I'm sure it's just a bear or something. Come on, let's just keep going. We're close to the den now." The young girl attempts to soothe her companion, who made no move to continue on there way.

Just then a twig broke, startling the girl who spun around, feline doing the same with a vicious growl. It wasn't a bear, as octavia had thought, rather four very interesting looking people.

They looked nothing like any person Octavia had encountered in her nine years. They wore strange black hooded cloaks and danced around their ankles, and were all incredibly pale, like the moon. What stood out most to Octavia though, was their nearly alien beauty, and stunning ruby eyes.

Octavia looked at the group with a growing suspicion and curiosity, eyes dancing between the four individuals that stood a good thirty feet away from her. There were three men and one women, and they all stood in a line, strange eyes watching her intently. The man on the farthest left was easily the tallest, his stature reminding Octavia of that of a bear with his broad shoulders and overall imposing nature. Then there was another man, though his features were softer then the first's, more childlike and youthful. Next was the only women.She looked surprisingly like the boy standing next to her with the same innocent facial features and beautiful eyes. Finally there was the last man, who was taller than the younger boy, but shorter than the giant. He was objectively the most handsome, though to octavia there was something individually alluring about each of them.

"Hello." The girl finally spoke out, startling Octavia out of her ever running list of comments and questions about these strange new people."My name is Jane, and this is Alec, Demetri, and Felix. What is your name?"

"Octavia." The girl said hesitantly, distantly she remembered her mother saying something about not talking to strangers, but these people were already so much more interesting then anyone she had ever seen, so she couldn't really help it.

"It's lovely to meet you Octavia." The handsome one, Demetri, said. His accent making even more questions swirl through her brain. Unable to help herself, the girl asked the most pressing question on her mind, ignoring another of her mother's lessons about rudeness.

"Why are your eyes red?"
The question caused a charged silence to fill the forest as the four alien people all looked amongst themselves, the tall man's lips began to move quickly, as though he were talking but no words were coming out.

"I don't like this. They smell like predators." Her friend beside her growled, looking between the four, and Octavia apprehensively.

"Don't worry. It'll be fine." Octavia whispered as quietly as possible, though apparently not quiet enough seeing as all four beautiful heads turned to stare at Octavia, who felt her cheeks heating up.

"Were you just talking to that.. . animal?" Alec asked, a genuine curiosity growing in his ruby eyes, and Octavia looked away nervously. This had never happened before, octavia was usually very careful about when she talked to her friends, seeing as the people at school already thought she was strange enough for not caring about the things they did.

"Oh uh- I asked you first." The girl childishly countered, crossing her arms across her chest to get her point across. The giant, Felix, chuckled in delight.

"She's got you there Alec." Felix merrily said, making Octavia giggle while Demetri snickered. The blonde howevr just sighed and muttered something about children before her eyes locked with Octavia's.

"Alright if we tell you a secret will you promise not to tell anyone, and I mean it this is not something you can share with anybody at all?" Jane asked, slowly moving closer to the girl who nodded immediately, needing to know this secret.

"We're different, my brother, friends, and I. We're special." Jane said, now standing in front of Octavia. "We can do things that other people can't."

Octavia looked at her in slight shock, wanting, no needing, to know what exactly it was that they could do.

"I'm different to." Octavia whispered, though they all seemed to hear her perfectly fine.

"Yes my dear, yes you are."
And so began the strange friendship between a girl and her beautiful red eyed friends.