Chapter 29

It was at that moment, that I started suspecting everything.

What if...

I shrugged the thought off. It was not the time to think about it. Not yet. I had to make sure everyone was okay. I had to tend to my family, then I would ponder on it.

"Ms. Harper... you- you're back. What a surprise." The Jury leader, a heavy-set guy with olive skin and a dark beard stated, while making his way toward everybody.

"Is it? I thought I was to be expected a few days after I left."

"Oh, were you now? Well, I must've been misinformed." He tried to fake a smile. "Alright everyone, let's move him out!" He shouted to his assistants as they grabbed both of his arms and moved him onto a cot.

"Hey! Careful there!" I shouted, watching them roughly drop him on the cot.

"My apologies, Ms. Harper, we were only try-" He glanced down at my dad and stared. He frowned as he did this, then slightly, made a swift glance back up at me.

His chest.

The programmed dates that were marked.

They were visible since the chords were moved.

He noticed, alright. There was no denying that.

"We'll uh... We'll handle him accordingly." He stumbled out after making one last devious glance at me... or maybe I was just imagining it.

I doubted it.

The Medicals and neighbors all left as well.

"Mom, I'm so sorry." I told her as they left.

"It's alright honey. We knew it was going to happen sooner or later, right?"

I started to nod, then shook my head.

"No, it didn't have to. He didn't have to die."

She looked up at me, confused.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, that he could have lived longer. He was programmed to die at a certain time, but after given the batteries, it kept him alive for a while, only to kill the important parts to live in his body."

"Nor, let's not talk crazy now. I know you've heard your dad and I talking about the Jury and their decisions, but let's not jump to conclusions."

"I'm not jumping to conclusions! I'm jumping towards the truth." I paced, conjuring up a plan. "Look, mom. I don't have time to explain it to you now, and we don't know everything; but, we think we might know some parts of what's going on."

Her and my brother exchanged glances.

"We think the Jury is out for something. Out for me. They had programmed everyone to die at a certain time when the sun had disappeared. They knew it would disappear at some point. The world is ending, mom."

"What?"

I continued without hesitation.

"They must've realized they had missed something, something important. They want me for something, but they had to find me. They couldn't find me dead, so they distributed the batteries to keep us alive for some time. That would give them more time to find me."

"Wait a minute, hold on. What makes you think they wanted you?" Michael asked, crossing his arms in disbelief.

"I've seen signs. There were painting of me in Unit three. I was also told that there are some in the Juries' office. They decided to let me go on the trip to wear out the battery. It was set to die at a certain time. That's why I don't have it anymore."

"Norchelle! You have to be logical! You can't just take out your battery!"

"I can, and I did. I replaced it with something that is guaranteed to work, even with the sun gone. A heart."

Gasps.

"You went and got a heart? Your dad would not approve of this." My mom stated. She looked over to Carter and glared. "This... this is your fault! We've instilled solid morals for our daughter to follow, and you've tainted her with your rebellious ways."

"What? No, I did-"

I cut his words short by continuing.

"It wasn't Carter. If it was up to him, he would've probably talked me out of it. It was me." I looked out the broken window and noticed the sky darkening. We had minimum time to find the answers we needed. "I can't stop and explain any longer, mom. We've got to go."

"No, you will not. Both of you will stay and have dinner. We'll talk about this more in the morning."

"In the morning? That's too lon-"

"Norchelle! You heard me."

I glanced at Carter. He shrugged and followed my mom up the stairs and out the door.

"We need to get you fixed up, uh-"

"Carter." He replied. "My name's Carter."

She faked a smile. "You must've been through a whole lot to come looking like that. Don't worry, I have some equipment."

As she went to the kitchen to look for her things, I sat down next to Carter on the floor. It was wet. Everything looked as if it had been hit by a hurricane. Instead, it was a flood. It looked as if nothing was protected from the flood. Nothing was the same.

Michael walked over to us and sat in front of us.

"If you need to get out of here by tonight, I've got a plan." He whispered.

I raised an eyebrow, questioning his offer.

"What?" I had to ask.

"Don't look so surprised. While you've been gone, I've been doing a little research myself. I couldn't find a whole lot, but I managed to get a little intel."

"What is it?" Carter asked eagerly.

"I'll give you the signal tonight. When I do, meet me in the basement. Both of you, and don't be late. We're almost out of time.