Chapter 23

Her eyes fluttered open. I jumped up from my seat.

"Nor!"

She turned slowly towards me and stared blankly.

"Carter?"

"I'm here. Don't worry, I'm here."

She smiled slightly, then immediately frowned once she saw the guy behind me.

"Did it work?"

He nodded and chuckled. It irritated me.

"Obviously, you're alive, aren't you?"

She nodded and felt her chest.

"I guess you're right." She laughed, slowly at first, and then louder.

I began to feel worried at her reaction. Laughing wasn't the expression I would've chosen to display at the moment.

She snorted and cried uncontrollably and held her stomach until she doubled over.

I shoved the guy behind me and hell fell; on top of his computer.

"What did you do to her?!"

"I told you what I did, this has nothing to do with it!" He yelled back and pointed to Norchelle. Standing back up and straightening his coat, he grabbed her by the shoulders, laying her back on her pillow.

"Nor, what's wrong with you?"

Her face grew serious.

"Nothing." She smiled again and yanked my arm until I was closer to her. "I have a heart now, Carter. I don't have to worry anymore. I'm really living, and it feels great!" She pulled me even closer and pressed her lips unto mine.

It was a while before we broke apart. The guy cleared his throat behind us and shuffled around to signal that he was still there.

We both jumped, and I awkwardly stepped back, upset that we had to break apart so soon.

"Remember, though, it's a weak heart, so you had to treat it accordingly."

She nodded, but I could tell she was far too excited to take what he said seriously.

Her smile suddenly faltered.

"Wait, what about the people in my Unit? What about my family?"

"That problem, you will have to solve on your own. That was the last heart that was donated before the owner died. Before you start anything, you will have to find out information for yourselves about the Jury."

"We'll do that. If you can't help us, we'll figure it out on our own." I looked at Nor to get her answer. She remained quiet, deep in thought.

She looked back at me and gasped.

"You're hurt. You look terrible, what happened?"

"Don't worry about it. It was just a little attack of the beasts"

She covered her mouth and widened her eyes.

"Carter, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have made such a big deal about me. I didn't even realize how bad you must've been injured."

"Don't worry about it, Nor. I'm fine. We need to get out of here, though."

"Uh, I would hurry it along if I were you two, time is ticking, and your problems are only getting worse."

Nor scrambled out of her bed and stumbled onto the floor. She took a while to regain her balance but managed to stand hunched over.

"You're right. We need to get back. I need to figure out a way to find the information we need." She stated. "Where're my clothes?"

The guy pointed toward a chair at the far end of the room.

She rushed over to them and scooped them up.

"I think, I might have a plan." She said before disappearing into the bathroom.