Chapter 18

The beastly creature turned toward me and slashed his claws near my face. I blocked them with my arms, but just barely.

He gnarled as he attempted to scratch me. I wasn't quick enough this time. Four bloody scratches appeared on my cheek and ran through my lower lip and chin.

He lashed out again. I rolled to the other seat and dodged his claws.

"You are dead today son!" He yelled before jumping over his driver's seat and landed on the seat next to me. I reached behind me and tried to grab the door handle for support, knowing it was no use to try to test if it was unlocked again.

I needed to get to the front seat and change the locks.

Thud!

The sudden impact brought me to my knees.

The rest of the creatures were on the vehicle and clawing their way inside.

Their eyes turned a dark red from their previous golden hue and their teeth appeared to have grown two extra inches.

They pounded and scratched.

Pounded and scratched. Continuously pounding harder and harder... until finally, the windows crashed open.

The glass scattered through the inside of the vehicle. I tried to shield my head with my arm from the numerous amounts of broken glass. It didn't help much.

I could feel the unforgiving sting of a shard of glass that sliced my skin.

I winced in pain and struggled trying to hold in a scream.

Three by three, the beastly figures piled into the car, each member by their side, ready to attack.

The leader of the pact, the one who had spoken to me before, was the last to get in. He smiled deviously and crossed folded his hands in front of his body. He paced around the semi spacious interior of the vehicle.

"Carter, Carter, Carter." He paused for a dramatic effect before continuing again. "Didn't someone already tell you?"

I felt the warm blood running from my lip. I licked it quickly to re-wet them. The dryness made it burn even more.

"You should never trust anyone except our leaders in this Unit." He laughed maliciously. "Step on it!" He yelled suddenly, changing his amused expression to a serious and hard one.

The car jerked forward, sending everyone flying toward the front. I caught myself with the handle beside me and mistakenly pulled.

It was ajar.

All eyes were on me once the car stopped.

"Sorry!" One of the megaphone voiced beast announced from the driver's seat. It was a female voice this time.

Their attentions were directed toward the driver. It was the perfect moment to escape. I started pulling.

A mistake.

A set of claws grabbed my shoulders and squeezed using its nails.

I turned and hit whoever had captured me.

I had succeeded. Fortunately, the beast didn't expect the sudden lash and fell... only for a split second.

It looked closely and he didn't seem to move, however, he was back on his feet.

That was not possible. It couldn't be. He was just on the floor.

"You aren't going anywhere!"

I kicked him, he grabbed my foot and twisted me around. I fell on my face.

At the time, it felt like it was the most painful thing in the world.

At that time, I was wrong.

The beast dragged me back on my feet and slammed me onto the closest door.

"Step on it!" The leader commanded again.

The car jerked forward once more, this time, more softly at the start, it escalated as it progressed, slowly at first, then it sped up.

A sick sensation churned in my stomach as it sped faster. Rapidly across the street and zig-zagging in multiple directions.

Still propped against the windows, I felt weak and helpless. Hope was far out of reach; so far, I almost forgot what it looked like.

I was being driven to my death, and there was nothing I could do about it.

The sounds of the clinking and clanking of the vehicle caused me to gain a headache. My eyes were focusing and readjusting on random objects in the car, as the beasts moved around the car, shouting orders, and finding something to destroy.

Fortunately, they left me alone, but only for a while. Normally, I would've been relieved. Not this time, however. If I wasn't being touched in this situation, something terrible was bound to occur.

I, unfortunately, was right.

The car sped like lightning, and I immediately felt dizzy.

I threw up before I knew it, and collapsed on the soft velvet seats.

"Nap time, is it?" One of the beasts stood over me and commented. "You can't sleep now, this is your stop."

My eyes widened.

"You mean, I can go? We made it to the head leaders' office?"

Hope appeared again. I could almost see it clearly, that was, until the devious little grin appeared on the creature's face.

"Oh, you thought we were actually going to take you there. No, no, you've got it all misconstrued. This is where we get off, and this is your stop... to your death." He laughed at that and ran toward the front of the car.

I steadied myself as I tried standing up. My whole body ached, and I could barely walk. I needed to get toward the exit, and fast.

One by one, each creature jumped out of the broken window and landed perfectly onto the street and out of sight.

It was only me and the leader of the beasts left.

"Sorry we have to do this, but hey, you know how it is; we don't allow outsiders in our part of town during these unforgiving hours." He ran over to one of the broken windows and held the side. "Hey, maybe you friend will have a less painful death than you will."

With that, he hopped out of the window and disappeared into the night.

I struggled getting towards the front of the seat and putting the vehicle to a halt.

The breaks were broken. They had completely destroyed the breaks and steering wheel.

I tampered a little with the little knowledge I had on transportation machinery, and tried fixing the controls. It didn't work.

My options were simple: either I could jump out the car and possibly be alive, or just not take any chances and die wherever the car stopped. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be nowhere near the road I was traveling on; especially, since there was a steep cliff up ahead.

I hesitantly held onto the handle of the side back door. It was a stupid idea. I needed to let life go, I was so close to finishing it.

Doubts swarmed throughout my aching brain. I shouldn't have brought Nor. If she was in danger, it was all because I couldn't watch over her properly. I failed at that task.

If I just stayed in the car and let the cliff take the car I was in to a deadly direction, I wouldn't have to worry about feeling the guilt and the pain.

I shook the thought off. I couldn't give up so easily. I wasn't a superhero, yet people needed me. I wasn't her supervisor, yet I needed to watch over her, no matter how much she thought she could take care of herself... if she wasn't dead already. I shivered at the thought. There was no telling how long she had to live without the sun.

Without taking the time to think about it, I yanked open the door and felt the rush of the fierce wind blowing my hair onto my face.

I jumped.