Chapter 20

I almost jumped out of the cot.

"It speeds up the dying process? I thought it slowed it down?"

"At first, it is to put your body at ease and comfort to prepare for death. In the long run, that's what it's designed to do."

I steadied myself on the rail boards located on the sides of the cot.

"In that case, why are people dying at different times?"

"It depends on how their body is operated. If they have a strong chord system to operate the panel properly also plays apart. Some people die quicker than others. Either way it goes, everybody wearing those batteries should be dead in about four to five days from now, maybe less."

"What did you mean by intentional? The Jury wouldn't do that."

"They would if they were after somebody in particular." His voice dropped at his statement, but I caught it. I heard every word.

"What do you mean?"

"Why do you think they sent people out to search for an answer? And kids, at that. But in particular, you?"

"What?"

"Think about it, they could've found the answer themselves. They traveled here before. I bet you haven't even heard of this place in your entire life, have you?"

"No." I admitted.

"Did you really think they chose to send kids out so that it wouldn't wear out the adults?"

"That's what they said."

"They lied. Kids chord systems are stronger, but they die at almost the same rate. They know that."

"So, why did they choose me?"

Silence.

He typed on his computer and tried to avoid my gaze. He knew more. He wanted to say more, but for some reason, he couldn't.

"Tell me!" I demanded.

"Calm down. You will only make your condition worse."

I stood up and balanced myself by holding on to the side- rail.

"I need to get out of here. I need to find one of the head leaders. They will help me, since you obviously can't."

I was on my way out of the door.

"Actually, I am one of the head leaders; and I can guarantee that none of the others will tell you what I just did."

"Why? Because it's a lie?" I turned and folded my arms across my chest.

"No, because they don't know; and whatever they do know, they don't just go and tell to anyone, especially people outside their Unit."

"Then, why are you telling me?"

"Because, I know, and I also know that you are in danger."

"If what you're saying is true, we all are."

"Yes, them too, but especially, you."

"What are you talking about."

"They are out to get you, Norchelle Harper."

I froze and almost felt the urge to fall out again.

What?

"Wh- why me?"

"Haven't you seen the paintings around here? Haven't you seen them hidden in the Juries' office?"

"I've seen them here, in a pod. But, I couldn't pin-point who it was."

I gasped and held onto the doorknob to steady myself.

No

It couldn't be.

"What does it mean?"

"That is for me to know, and you to find out."

"Why can't you just tell me?"

"Somethings, Norchelle, are better not said. This is one of those things. There are reasons that you wouldn't understand right now, but I just can't tell you." He saw the worry and anxiety displayed on my face. "I can tell you this, however, they want something from you. They know something about you that no one else does. They need you dead, and fast."

I didn't realize I had tears streaming down my face.

"Why didn't you cut my battery out, yet? Why do I still have it in me?"

"I was going to wait until you awoke to get your permission. I figured it would be better to explain everything to you before we proceed with the surgery."

"Wait, won't I die if I take it out."

"That, I don't know."

I shuddered and tried to find another option.

"There is another option, Norchelle. It involves something serious, something that hasn't been done before."

"What? If you are right, I'm willing to do anything."

"We have to cut out your chords and replace it with a heart."

"No, no you can't do that. That means, I'll be dead for a split second; what if I never wake back up."

"Trust me on this one. I think this is the best choice. This is something that should've been done many years ago. Do you want to do it or not?"

Suddenly, I remembered something Carter had said; about not trusting anyone from the third Unit.

"Where's Carter?" I asked, suddenly feeling guilty that I had let my own troubles crowd my mind instead of worrying about Carter.

"Oh, that boy who always comes here for supplies? He's either on his way here, or dead."

"What?!"

"Don't worry, he's a smart boy. He probably made it out of the nighttime frenzy."

"What time is it?"

The guy checked his watch.

"Almost eight o'clock in the morning."

"Oh no, he could be dead by now." I had the urge to just leave wherever I was and go find him. I needed him more than I realized.

"Eh, I wouldn't count on it. He's had his share of beast attacks and commotions."

I wasn't easily convinced.

"He said I shouldn't trust anybody here."

"And yet he needs our help."

Logically, he made sense. But, I needed more than logic to decide whether or not I wanted to enter a whole new system of changes.

"So, I need an answer now. Do you want me to go through with the procedure or not?"

Either I was stupid and risked my life over it, or I was wise and saved my life.

"Okay. Cut me open."