Chapter 13

We stopped at a small café later. The food was the best I had ever had in my Unit. However, it probably had something to do with me not eating for a while.

It was getting late, so we had to find somewhere to rest for the night.

Carter found a miniature, circular, looking building that reminded me of the same buildings from Unit 2. He said they were called pods. It was not yet brought to Unit 1 to examine.

The interior looked like a miniature spaceship. Everything looked so modern and hi-tech. I was secretly afraid that I would break something.

Carter had the pod across from mine. He told me before departing, to call him if I needed anything. I was still, somewhat, upset with his earlier remarks, but, I appreciated his generosity. It made me feel a tad... safer.

The next morning, Carter paid the woman for lending us her pods. She owned about ten of them to rent to people. As Carter pulled out the wad of cash, I almost couldn't believe my eyes. I hadn't realized how rich he must've been for him to have a stadium sized mansion/office, a famous scientist as a father, and now the leader of his Unit. That was quite a position. I never realized how hard the situation must've been on him as a leader versus me as a citizen from another Unit.

He caught me staring and his face turned a deep red.

"It- It's just something I thought we'd need for the journey."

I smiled at his embarrassment. The creases that appeared on his forehead and his constant anxious moving fingers gave away his nervousness. It was rather... cute. Though, I never would openly admit it. We had enough problems to deal with more complicated emotions.

My flowy dark locs were parted as always, to the side, and I had on my usual cream colored, short-sleeved t-shirt; along with my black leather pants. I didn't have time to pack any extra clothes. I shuddered as I remembered being snatched, pretty much kidnapped, against my will from my house and into two different worlds, one of them, unknown. I had zero hygiene products as well. So, I could only imagine how I must've smelled to another nose. I tried not to think about it too much.

Carter had brought an extra pair of clothes, ad wore a solid white t-shirt that exposed his abs and underneath and toned arms... not that I noticed. His shaggy brown hair looked the same as it did the day before, and his eyes sparkled just as bright as when I first saw him.

I felt disgusting compared to how he looked. Bathing could only keep one clean for so long, but, without my deodorant, body spray, or breath mints, there was no telling how long the cleanliness would last; especially, after walking and sweating in the same clothes for hours, only to put them on a clean body the next day.

We ate a light breakfast, consisting of yogurt and toast, before we left. I admired the detailed paintings on the wall of my pod. It was an image of a being- a woman. She had a golden crown on her head- it favored golden sun rays. She had a long, flowing, golden dress that reached from one end of the wall and continued toward another edge of the wall. The woman was in a large faintly lit amphitheater with a large crowd gathered around her in the stands. Her hair, I couldn't quite detect, it wasn't very vivid. However, it looked as if her hair were in some kind of braids or twists. The detail wasn't as vivid in that area, so I couldn't make it out. Her skin was a soft cinnamon brown and her whole aura brought light to the whole arena. Her eyes weren't added to her features, just her figure, garment, and accessories. Without the eyes, however, she took the form of somebody I knew, or recognized, in a way. Somebody it could've been with the eyes included. I just couldn't figure out who...