"He better find out and make up for it."

She backed her chair and stood up. Before leaving the kitchen, she wrapped Luc in a light shoulder hug, still trying to convince herself that he was fine.

"I love you. Don't ever scare me like that again."

He squeezed her arm. "I love you, too. Good night."

She climbed the stairs without a sound and found Emma sitting cross-legged on her bed, a weary smile flashing amid her damp hair strands. Her tiny figure swam in one of Lauren's night robes, but at least it didn't fall off her.

"I had no idea silk was that comfortable," she said.

Lauren nodded vigorously. "Right? I discovered it after I got one pyjama set as a gift and wow. Mind-blowing. Best fabric ever." She settled and hugged a pillow. "You know, there's a guest room if you want a room all to yourself."

"Why, you've never had a sleepover?"

She wasn't sure why sleepovers were a popular activity. Emma sounded like she had countless of those. "People sleep here at times, but sleepovers like you know them, no."

"You've never had a sleepless night because your friend wouldn't stop talking or snoring in your face?" Her eyes widened. "You never stayed late at night talking about boys and jokes and movies and food and..."

She stopped, realizing that her blabbering was making Lauren increasingly self-conscious. She was looking down at her pillow.

"It sure sounds fun."

Emma stood on her knees with a determined look. "You know what? Tonight's going to be your first one. Remind me to invite you to my place after."

Lauren perked up, the ghost of a wishful grin stretching her lips. "Really?"

"Yes, absolutely! We can make a fort out of pillows or have a pillow fight. Of course, the mandatory movies marathon and lots of snacks are involved. I hang up lights inside the fort when I do it with Sam and Jen. Or we can make it super dark and listen to horror video stories!"

She beamed at the redhead. Maybe it was the remains of booze but it didn't matter. She was so grateful for so many reasons and Emma wasn't even aware of it. Lauren squeezed her in a warm bear hug.

"Thank you so much."

"What for?" Emma chirped.

For making me live in ways people like me never could. "Just 'cuz." Her laptop hovered to the bed and mischief carved Lauren's features. The lights in her room flickered out. "Grab a pillow and make yourself comfortable. It's spooky time."

***

The next morning, the girls woke up to Raymond loafing in the kitchen and eating a bacon omelet with Luc at the table. He noticed them come down and straightened, lips parted like he wanted to speak. He tried to make eye contact with Lauren, but she avoided him and opened the pantry.

"Do you want eggs?" she asked Emma. "I can make Nutella-stuffed french toast and I also have homemade Nutella and yogurt popsicles if you want something sweeter. There's fruit, muffins, peanut putter and jam... Ooh, have you tried butter and honey toast? There's milk and cereal or oatmeal if you prefer..."

"You're giving her a headache," Luc muttered over his plate. "Let the girl process for a second."

She closed the pantry. Lauren stuck out her tongue while digging in the freezer. She retrieved a Nutella stick and popped it in her mouth.

"Uh..." Emma's eyes got lost on the wall. She wasn't feeling so hungry as her mouth had dried overnight and her head was pounding. Her body felt heavier and slower. "I don't know... It all sounds delicious."