Chapter 33 Home

Good teamwork!

•••

Travis's POV

I had struck a nerve. I could tell. I just didn't know what to do with that.

"Shut-up, Travis. Get in the car." James had snapped at me, something he had never done before.

He opened the back car door for me, letting me get situated in my seat before closing the sliding door with a slam. He got in the front with his driver, and the next few moments that passed were some of the most stiff that I had ever felt. James didn't visibly relax, and because of that I couldn't either. The driver cleared his throat before driving, and I thought for a second that James would skin him alive.

The uneventful car ride ended at the mansion I had only seen the outside of on three occasions. The monstrous building that had seemed so elegant before, and now reminded me of a prison. The gaudy lipstick fountain and thick gardens upfront drew the eye away from the windows that were nearly unbreakable, the sides that proved to be unscalable, and the security cameras tucked in every niche.

I opened the car door and got out on my own, the driver jogging around to let James out, only to be waved off as the black-haired man let himself out. James told the driver to park the car in his garages as I walked off to the front door.

"I'm going to use your kitchen phone!" I announced to James, opening the surprisingly unlocked door. The feeling of walking willingly into a place I wanted to escape for so long was weird, and I paused with one step through the door.

"I've turned it on for you!" I heard James call back, prompting me to walk inside.

Inside, I froze up again. I could tell there was someone else in the mansion, seeing two pairs of shoes by the door and hearing footsteps above me. Part of me felt like going right for the phone and calling the cops, but the kitchen was far away, it was night time, the lights were off, so I bailed.

"James!" I called, stepping back out of the house. "There's someone here!" I didn't want to get beat up anymore today.

James had already been walking up the path, but jogged over to me now. "Here, let's see who." He took his phone, tapped an app, and several camera videos appeared on his screen. A few were lit up with people in them. There were cameras in bathrooms too, which I was not fond of.

I looked over his shoulder, not feeling too comfortable with walking inside now. "I saw two things of shoes in there, and I see three people...." I commented. "Do you know them?"

James nodded, giving me a smile that was surely fake, trying to cover up that I had chipped at him in some way and we were not at the same level as before. "You don't recognize Matilda, my secretary?" He pointed to the woman sitting in the kitchen, texting on her phone.

"Barely." I responded. "How about the others?"

"Deedle-de and deedle-dumb-ass." He responded, taking my arm and leading me in. "You might notice one from the business party. He seems to be checking out the bathroom I recently renovated."

I pulled away from James's grasp. "Oh, well, if it's just Matilda in the kitchen, I can just go ahead and make my phone call now." I shrugged.

"She seems the safest of the three. Go on and call your friend. Don't call the police, they will hang up as soon as they hear the address." He warned, turning away from me. "And, let me know before going to bed what room you'll be in."

I nodded, not getting a creep vibe from him for once, which only concerned me more, since I usually always got the feeling. He seemed to have only not let me die or become a slab of meat because he liked me. Now, my thoughts wandered to if he stopped caring or lost interest in me.