Chapter 29 Misplaced Worries

happy thanksgiving. This is TWICE AS LONG as normal chapters.

James's POV

Who the fuck keeps bringing my Travis flowers?

My grip on the car door tightened as I got out, taking a rose with me as I walked towards the hospital doors on a smooth concrete walkway. The hospital flaunted all the money that was poured into it with gorgeous rooms and pillars and the worst garden to assault my eyes yet. The flowers out front smelled sweet, suffocatingly so, garishly bright year-round and I could barely cast a glance towards the building without wishing I had brought shades.

The receptionist batted her eyelashes as I passed by, and many politely nodding doctors were familiar with my face, my ex, and how much money I brought to the hospital. There was only one person I cared about here however, and he was down the hall, ready to go home this week. The doors all seemed the same except for the one to his room, this one felt like a wall behind him and I.

Outside the hospital room, I paused to fix my jacket, shaking out my thoughts. I focused on something manageable. The cards on the bedside table, I could stand. There were a few that I had dropped into the trashcan, a few that were too hinting that I would enjoy shredding, all from those who saw him at the little soirée I had to host. People collectors would want to take Travis in a heartbeat, and I would not be allowing that.

Something I absolutely could not stand were the flowers from Brandon. The football menace from the beach had no right to even approach Travis. The way they acted at the beach party reminded me that he would be pinning for something he did not own, and Travis would likely run to him in a heartbeat if given the chance. The fact had my fingers tightening around the handle as if I were strangling the life from Brandon.

The past days without Travis at my home have been lackluster the best. His expressions of fear and spite and defeat crossed my mind every time I passed the chair in the library, so I decided to burn that. The bathtub despised me, so I had the whole bathroom redone while I sipped chateau in a master bath. The pillow where he had rested his head became what I now held close at night. Next I might just redecorate the whole bedroom, or let Travis break the furniture and give him some IKEA catalogs.

At the end of full work days, I found I had done more work, but more suffocated rage pent-up within me that needed an outlet. Travis was what I needed, like a drug. Seeing his still, peaceful, resting face, all the weight that build melted away like ice in the presence of his pure sunshine. Travis would make a full recovery, I ensured that. When he returned to my home, I would ease him into my arms this time, give him what he wanted, and certainly get to know every part of him better. My hand relaxed and my mind had soared to sweet thoughts involving a whip before dropping like a stone.

Then the worst possible thing had happened. The bed was empty, the clothes were missing, and the sunflowers and purple vase too. Travis was gone. The white room with gray empty walls spoke nothing of what happened, and I had opted not to put up a camera.

The rose fell on the bed as I took out my phone, taking a seat. The hospital had cameras outside and inside, and that was all I needed. My mind was telling me that the football star had taken him, swept him out of here, and I would have to hunt him down and watch the life leave his eyes. Scrubbing the footage, I found almost nothing, until I got out of the limo. And Travis. Just. Walked. Past. Me. Alone.

For a moment, I wanted to know if his brain had been damaged. The ease he walked by with a vase between us, his eyes high and look relaxed - and then he suddenly started running. He knew exactly who he had passed, fear biting his heels as he practically flew out of the camera's view.

Admiration for his stunt saved him from me getting angry at my mouse immediately. It was reassuring to see that the man who had taken apart a bed and hit me with the headboard still had tricks to play. Unfortunately, now I had to track him down and take him home before he placed himself on the black market.