Chapter 28 Safe and Sound

Travis's POV

Waking up in a hospital was not welcoming. There were machines beeping and my body hurt. I was alive, which meant my escape by death failed. The upside was that I was out of that house.

"Travis!" I was amazed and overjoyed to see Lucy there beside the bed. Unfortunately, the pipe down my throat meant there would be only one-sided conversation. I welcomed that.

Lucy began talking, taking my hand in her soft ones. "You've been missing for such a long time! I heard you snuck off with the CEO and almost drowned in his pool. I couldn't believe that, you're a decent swimmer. But, you can tell me everything yourself when you can talk can't you?"

She moved her chair to get comfortable before catching me up on the company. "While you were gone, the company lost some important products! Some lady had the mixes released to the public and Alo had to give them up. Oh! Then Sanders has to host a big company meeting to keep the old money bags paying for the company. They threatened to cut pay! I was almost laid off-" Her speaking turned into gentle droning about what used to be my work.

"-and, Brandon's been asking about you."

My eyes watered. Brandon had been looking for me? Was he still looking? Solace, that sweet feeling of comfort in my distress, washed over me and the presence of a friend reassured me. Even if she didn't understand the where or why I had been missing, Lucy noticed I was missing. Others must have noticed too.

My eyes closed and the tears slipped from my eyes, Lucy's words welcome humming to my ears. She talked and talked, and spoke softer, trailing off as she realized I was falling asleep.

"I'll be back later with ice-cream when you're better." Lucy assured, before giving my hand a squeeze and leaving.

I almost panicked to see her go, yet I fell asleep anyways. There were flowers on the bedside table for me when I opened my eyes, and they were still there when I closed my eyes. They were there when the breathing tube was taken out too. But there was also a vase of flowers there beside them. It felt like in another blink the flowers multiplied. Then there were little gifts that disappeared. Then there were boxes of chocolate. I was finally permitted to sit up when there were three vases of flowers, a wilting bouquet, and a box of chocolates.

Between the hazy in and out of consciousness, the nurses and a dull pain, my bedside table became overpopulated. The clashing, bright colors were all clustered together over a box of chocolates from my favorite brand. The corner of another box of chocolates stuck out in the trash on the opposite side of the bedside table, some fancy-brand chocolate.

I was confused about the flowers and the chocolates. I opened the chocolates, dollar-store puppy brand, finding the two flavors I didn't like missing and a note.

"Thought you might like these. Hope you don't mind, I ate a few. - Brandon."

My heart fluttered and a blush rose to my cheeks. Brandon visited? Brandon visited! The super hot football player boyfriend I thought had abandoned me had visited me in the hospital. He had remembered my favorites too, and what chocolates he could eat.

Carefully, I closed the little chocolate case that was shaped as a puppy and hugged it, feeling like my chest might physically explode with glee. The bouquet was from him too- three old sunflowers. They were falling apart, but the vase full of lilies and violets in a small, purple pot came from him too, and seemed well-loved and taken care of. I reached over and gently felt a big glossy leaf, almost in a daze, smiling stupidly.

The second vase, I could guess who the flowers were from. One was red and white roses in a sleek glass vase, expensive and probably bought without much thought of if I would like them. My best guess would be that James sent these. I gently nudged the vase until it fell into the trash with a clink.

The last vase, I couldn't imagine who'd have brought me the flowers in it. The tall, green, modern-art rectangular vase was packed with spiky red plants and yellow fuzzy-button plants, some uncommon mixture that I couldn't name the flowers of. I wasn't a florist, certainly, but this vase seemed Bad. Someone was rushing to bring me plants, and they didn't seem friendly or happy about that. Maybe James had a secretary deliver some?

I put the chocolates and good vase closest to me and smiled fondly, before scooting over to the bedside table closest to the door. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a small fleet of cards, scooping them together and gently looking through them. The differences between them all made me happy, some with googly-eyes and others with glitter.

The first was from Lucy. The iconic 'Hang In There!' cat was on the front, and a 'Get Well Soon!' on the inside.

The next was from my landlord, who I was surprised even cared that I had been missing. I figured my possessions would be off to auction by now. The outside of the card said, "Hope You Get Better!" and the inside said "So you can pay your rent!" Any warm feelings for my landlord spontaneously died.

The rest were from the clothes designer I met before the party, 'the photographer', Maryam from the office, Brandon, and then the rest were... James and some other big named creeps.

The familiar gold-printed card from James said 'Get Well', and inside said 'I will pick you up after the doctors say you're ready.'

The letter triggered my flight response.

With nothing tying me down, no IV drips or other things attached to me, I pushed myself up and let my legs hang off the bed. The blood that hadn't moved in days stirred and I sat with my teeth clenched as the TV static feeling passed through every part of my body waist-down. My legs were asleep, and numb when I placed my feet on the floor, looking around and in cubbies for any clothes.

No surprise, I found a fancy outfit stuffed into the bedside table with the vase and flowers. There was no time to worry about the missing underwear, though the feeling of slacks against privates is nothing a person should have to endure, as I gathered my puppy chocolate, vase, and cards that I liked.

Next thing to do was act confident and leave the building. Confidence is key! That's I told myself. I possessed no confidence, but I made myself look like I did. Internally, I was screaming.

With the look of some recovered boyband singer, I walked right out with my head up. That was surprisingly easy. The hard part was walking right past James as he headed the opposite direction- and I hid myself behind the purple vase like an idiot as we passed. He didn't seem to care, or notice. My heart was deciding to give out at the moment we passed one another, but I was fine. Didn't even look back. But my heart felt like it dropped into my feet and my breathing nearly stopped.

Then I was away from him. My feet twitched and then launched myself down the sidewalk. As soon as I figured out what street I was on, I started running in my hospital socks like this was the 90's end credits to a good movie. My flowers nearly spilled on the street, much to my panic.

Home was my first choice. My landlord, who was pleased to see me, let me in and let me ransack my own place. My life savings, some clothes, and important things I could never give up, I shoved into a bag. There was a paranoia that drove me to check out the window every few minutes as if I was going to see a limo to abduct me at any second rolling up. There was no change at all.

Thankfully, I took myself, and all my precious possessions, and headed through the alleys to Lucy's house. There would be safety there, hopefully. There would be a bed to sleep on for sure.

I would be safe and sound finally, thank fuck.