22. Ain't No Party Like A Mutant Party

Start from the beginning

Raymond stared at the BMW in disapproval, leaning rigidly against his vehicle. "I guess it'll be us in the car, then..." 

"Fine with me." Lauren smiled and silently encouraged Emma to follow her. "Coming?" 

When all three were settled, they left the cabin shortly after Ben. Raymond, though hesitant and uncomfortable, made an effort to talk with Emma and inquired about her life. He was stiff and his smile was brittle, but he managed to stay polite. 

"Are you going to work things out with that girl? I heard she'll be at the party," Lauren said. "This is, like, the millionth time you guys fight about something stupid."

"I don't know what to do. Amanda's so uptight but she's hot if you know what I mean." He winked and the girls made a disgusted sound. 

Lauren groaned. "I told you to win her over with chocolates and romance. Well, as much as you can manage. Just be honest when you see her."

"You're the best." He beamed.

She mocked a superior smirk. "I know."

While tailing the BMW out of town, Lauren and Raymond started bickering about the music in the car. Minutes later, they finally agreed on a piece and then, the funniest thing happened. They sang the lyrics at the top of their lungs. Lauren giggled and stared back at Emma, coaxing her to join them. 

"You know this song, come on!"

Raymond glanced in his rearview mirror. "We should disturb Ben's team--see which car can yell the loudest."

Lauren looked thrilled at that idea but continued to stare at her friend. 

"How about that?"

Emma cracked a grin. "Okay, fine! I'll play along..."

"Fuck yeah," Raymond approved with a wicked smirk. "I like her already." 

He rolled down all the windows including the sun roof. A violent current stirred the interior because of the speed they drove at. Raymond cranked the radio volume until the bass droned through his car and resonated through Emma's chest. They picked a well-known song with easy lyrics for the challenge. All three yelled the lyrics, catching the BMW's attention. 

The sun roof ahead slid open and Devin popped up. She flipped them off. 

Raymond exploded in laughter. Soon enough, their car was also thrumming with music and their windows rolled down with shouts coming from them. The kids in the Audi cupped their hands over their mouths, reaching a deafening level of decibels that disturbed the other drivers. The BMW responded, and the war carried out until they parked in front of a house at a dead end road in Oldbridge. The sun was setting. When Lauren got out, she linked her arm with Emma's and strutted in front of Ben and Luc. 

"Say what you want, but we did it better."

***

When the group entered the house, the place was packed with teenagers and young adults mutants. Lilah, the owner of the property, came to greet them and instantly looked distraught at Emma's presence. 

"You brought her here?" she hissed at Lauren. 

"It's not like she's going to pull a knife and stab us. She'd never do that." 

Lilah gauged the redhead. "Maybe not yet." 

Lauren shot her a glare. "She's my guest and you'll have to deal with it. You'll know that she's a lot more fun than most of the people gathered here." 

"You let her do this stuff?" Lilah asked, staring at Luc. 

He raised his arms in a defensive gesture as if telling her not to drag him into all this. 

"Hey, next time, try convincing her for me if you think you can do it. I'd love to see you try." 

The discussion made Emma uncomfortable and unwelcome. She shifted nervously behind the group, trying to subtract herself from Lilah's view, but her incendiary eyes always noticed her movements like a cat following a mouse. She cleared her throat. 

"I'm sorry for barging in like this..." she apologized in a thin voice. "I-I didn't think it would have bothered people this much and I don't mean to offend anyone. Maybe it's better if I leave." 

Lauren caught her arm. She didn't want to be here without Emma. "Please..." 

"Look, she doesn't want me here and it's her house. I have to respect that. I wouldn't like seeing uninvited people at my place, either." 

Lauren glanced at the door. "Then I'll come with you. Whatever, this party's not important." 

"Someone has to drive you," Luc pointed out. "That makes one more person that needs to leave just to get Emma home."

"I can take the keys and ride home without the cops seeing me. Besides, I was supposed to be the designated driver for Raymond. He said he didn't intend to come alive out of this one, so..."

Lilah listened grudgingly to the whole thing and watched the human's head lower in embarrassment. And everyone was trying to organize themselves for this tiny, fragile thing. Lilah let out a resentful tsk and backed away from the hall. 

"Fine, she can stay." Her hostile, caustic gaze met with Emma's. "Don't stir trouble or get in people's way, you hear me? I won't be as nice if anything happens and I'll personally hold you accountable." 

Lauren's eyes flared in anger to see her treat Emma that way. She prepared to set matters straight when a hand settled on her shoulder and squeezed, warning her to cool down. 

"Right now, this is the best Lilah can do," Raymond whispered in her ear. "Let it be and take the win."

He was right. She'd managed to get Lilah to leave Emma alone, and for now, it was as much as she could hope for. Lauren exhaled and grabbed Emma's hand, proud of her little victory. She dragged her towards the snacks, delving into the compact mass of people.