Chapter 14

Leo holds up a paper to me, an F is written across the top with a circle around it.

"Kala," he says.

I snatch the paper away from him. "Don't give me that look!"

I shove the paper deep into my back pack, taking extra care to make sure it is nice and crumpled.

"Kala," Leo repeats.

I refuse to look at him. Instead, I stare down down at my desk. My back hunched over and tense.

"Kala." His voice is tender as he walks in front of my desk. He crouched down, and wipes my bangs behind my ear.

"Did you study?" he asks.

"No," I say. "You were busy with robotics. I tried to, but, my brain wouldn't help me."

"Look at me," Leo said.

And I do. For a second, before looking back down at my desk.

He waits and I finally give in and look up at him. His eyes are a light green, and they remind me of the smell of pine trees. I try not to get distracted by my reflection in his eyes, which ruined the beauty of them.

"Kala, I can't always help you," he says. "How long did you study by yourself?"

I moan. "Not very long."

I cross my arms and rest my forehead against them. "It's hard to when you're not here."

Leo chuckles. "Kala, you need to learn how to study by yourself. I can't always be there to help you."

"I know," I groan.

You put your hand on my arm. "Did you try your best?"

"Mm-hmm," I say.

He rubs my arms. "I'll try to help you more. Please come back?" After a moment of silence, he repeats. "Please?"

I somehow find the will to lift up my head.

"That's my girl," he says.

I get out of my desk and we sit next to each other against the wall of the empty classroom. Leo leans against my body and we remain that way until the next bell.