Chapter 35 - Keeping promises

Asher's POV

I arrived at the destination. I was squeezing the steering wheel tightly while waiting for Aaron. My heart was pounding.

Where is that bastard?

Suddenly, the black van approached me. I breathed deeply and got out of the car. I took the bag.

Aaron and two men got out of the van. Aaron gave me a cocky grin as he placed his hands into his pockets and approached us.

"Is the money ready?" He asked.

"Yes, it is here. Where is Romeo?" I asked.

He gestured to the man beside him to bring Romeo. He nodded and went to open the back door. A man got out of the van, holding Romeo in his arms.

My treasure.

I smiled and wanted to go towards him.

"Hey stop!" Aaron demanded. "Now give me the damn money." He snapped.

I nodded and approached him. He took the bag and opened it.

After seeing the money, he gestured to the man, who was holding Romeo in his arms, to give my son to me.

I took my son in my arms and hugged him tightly, breathing in his milky scent. My eyes filled with tears. Finally, my boy was in my arms. I missed him so much. My little boy. I kissed his cheek.

I needed to take him away from here immediately.

When I wanted to get in my car, I heard a gunshot. I stopped, pressing Romeo into my chest.

"Where are you going? Do you think I will let you go so easily?" Aaron asked sarcastically.

"Aaron, let me go. You got what you wanted." I said firmly. He gave me a disgusting smirk.

"If I don't?" He asked, giving me a sardonic smirk and pointed the gun at me.

I gulped in fear. But I was afraid that this bastard would harm my son. I pressed my son against my chest.

"Please, let me take Romeo back." I gave him a begging look.

He shook his head, smirking, and suddenly, he shot me. I cried out in pain and collapsed on the ground.

I placed my hand on my shoulder while pressing Romeo against my chest. I bent over Romeo, trying to protect him. He was crying.

"My boy, don't worry. Dad is beside you." I murmured and gritted my teeth in pain.

I heard footsteps coming closer to me.

Suddenly, I heard sirens, followed by gunshots. The police rushed towards us. I sat up and looked at Aaron who was laying on the ground in blood while holding my baby against my chest. Romeo was crying while gripping my shirt.

"It is okay. Everything passed." I murmured and kissed his forehead.

"Asher!" My father screamed as Arthur and he rushed towards us.

"Oh my goodness!" He exclaimed, frightened as he saw my wound.

"I am fine, Dad. Don't worry." I mumbled, trying to reassure him.

"Arthur, take Romeo." My father ordered as he bent down beside me.

Arthur nodded, looking at me, worried and took Romeo in his arms. My father helped me to stand up while applying pressure to the wound. I leaned against him as he helped me to get in the car.

****

Fortunately, the bullet just grazed my shoulder. After the doctor had stopped my bleeding and cleared my wound, he left.

A few minutes later, the door opened and Eleanor rushed in.

"Ash!" She exclaimed, frightened and rushed towards me. She hugged me, crying.

I cried out in pain.

"I am sorry, baby." She said, giving me an apologetic look as she pulled back slightly. "How do you feel?" She asked, worried and stroked my cheek affectionately.

"I am okay. The bullet just grazed my shoulder." I replied, giving her a reassuring smile. "How is Romeo?" I asked.

"He is fine." She gave me a warm smile. "Thank you for keeping your promise and bringing my son back." She kissed my lips tenderly.

"Of course, baby. He is my son too. I will do everything to protect my family." I stated and stroked her hair. She gave me a bright smile.

"I love you,Ash." She said, looking into my eyes.

"I love you too." I admitted as I pulled her closer to me and brushed my lips against her lips.

I placed my hands into my pockets, smiling, full of happiness in my eyes while I was watching Eleanor and Romeo. Romeo was giggling while Eleanor was tickling him.

Arthur approached me and stood beside me, watching Eleanor and Romeo

"Thank you. She couldn't live if something happened to Romeo." Arthur said and gave me a grateful smile.

I looked at him, surprised.

Wow. Did Arthur Miller thank me?! Moreover, he even smiled at me. The man who wanted to strangle my throat every time when he saw me. I couldn't believe my ears.

"You don't need to thank me, sir. I didn't just do it for Ellie. Romeo is my son too. He is my treasure." I said honestly, looking into his eyes. "If something happened to him, I could not forgive myself that I couldn't protect my son...." I paused, sighing. "I would never forgive myself that I thought...." I took a deep breath and continued. "Even if it was for a few hours, but...thinking about....ki..." I stopped as I couldn't even manage to say this word. I gritted my teeth as I felt disgusted. I shook my head and continued. "...an abortion. But I will be thankful to Eleanor the rest of my life that she didn't listen to my stupidity, and she didn't give up on our baby." I looked at Romeo.

I couldn't hold myself and smiled at my little boy. Even thinking that I couldn't see this scene made my heart sink. I gave Arthur an apologetic look. He nodded and gave me a compassionate look.

"I was worried that you would hurt my daughter's feelings again, but I understood that you love her too." He commented, looking into my eyes.

"Yes, sir. I love her so much." I admitted honestly.

"I know now. So I give you my blessings to marry my daughter. Make her happy." He said and gave me a slight smile.

I looked at him, surprised. The corner of my lips curled up in a smile as I promised. "I will, sir. Thank you."

He nodded as he tapped my back and left. I looked at Eleanor happily.

When she lifted her head, our eyes met. She gave me a mesmerizing smile. I smiled at her back and approached her.