Chapter 24 - Getting answers

Asher's POV

"...Umm." Jane mumbled nervously. "He is...my cousin's baby." She said.

The last hope vanished from my heart. For a second, I thought this little one was mine. Eleanor and my baby. Our baby.

I nodded sadly without taking my eyes off the baby. He was so cute. Suddenly, he raised his arms towards me, giving me a cheeky smile. I stared at him, surprised as happiness filled my heart. I smiled at him back.

"Could I?" I asked without taking my eyes off the baby.

Jane nodded, biting her lower lip. I took him in my arms carefully.

"Hey little buddy." I said, smiling, and kissed his cheek. "What is his name?" I asked.

"Romeo." She replied.

"Romeo." I repeated. "You have such a beautiful name." I commented, smiling and stroked his hair gently.

He hit my lips with his little hands, babbling. I squeezed his little fingers between my lips playfully.

If my baby was born, who would he look like? A little boy looked like me. Or maybe the baby was a girl. Beautiful like Eleanor. I sighed sadly, stroking Romeo's back gently.

I couldn't hold myself and asked. "How old is he?"

I didn't know what got into me; there was something different about this boy. As much as she told me he was her cousin's baby, but deep inside my heart, I didn't want to believe it. I didn't know it was my guts or hope.

"Five...umm..eight months." She mumbled nervously.

I raised my eyebrow, perplexed. My cousin had a seven months old baby, but she was bigger than he was.

"Jane..." Eleanor didn't finish her sentence as she saw me. Her face got pale as she stared at Romeo and me, dumbfounded.

"Umm... Hi." She mumbled and placed her bags on the floor.

"Hi." I muttered.

"I didn't know you were here. When did you come?" She asked nervously.

"A few minutes ago. Romeo was keeping me company." I replied, smiling and stroked Romeo's hair. He leaned his head against my chest, rubbing his eye.

"Yes, Asher and my cousin's son get along well." Jane intervened nervously.

"Oh..." Eleanor muttered, giving Jane a puzzled look and looked at Romeo as she bit her lower lip.

She approached us and took Romeo in her arms. She kissed his cheek, stroking his hair. Romeo gripped her hair and nuzzled up against her chest, still holding the lock of her hair. I looked at them affectionately.

"If I didn't act like a coward, and you didn't get an abortion, listening to me, our baby would be about a few months younger than him." I commented sadly, staring at Romeo tenderly and stroked his little hand gently.

He was staring at me while his head rested on Eleanor's chest. They looked adorable together.

"He loves you." I commented, smiling.

"Yeah." She smiled, looking at Romeo and stroked his hair gently.

When our eyes met, she averted her gaze, biting her lower lip nervously. There was an awkward silence in the room.

"Umm....It is his nap time." Jane interrupted this silence. She took him in her arms. "I will leave you alone." She said and carried Romeo towards the bedroom.

After Jane and Romeo had disappeared from our sight, Eleanor walked towards the window, folding her arms over her chest.

I approached her and wrapped my arms around her waist from behind.

"I am so sorry. I know it will not bring our baby back, but I want you to know that I regret it." I confessed.

"Ash..." She muttered and pulled back. "Please. It is the past. Don't rake up the past." She mumbled sadly without looking into my eyes.

"Ellie..." I gave her a sad look.

"Why are you here?" She cut me off, folding her arms over her chest.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair.

"We need to check the construction. Are you free tomorrow?" I asked.

"Tomorrow?" She asked.

"Yes, I am busy next week." I lied.

"Umm...Ok." She accepted.

"Great. I will pick you up at 2 p.m." I informed. She nodded. "Ok. See you." I said and went towards the door.

When I was about to walk out, I stopped.

"And kiss Romeo for me." I said, giving her a smile.

She looked at me, surprised. Then she nodded, giving me a warm smile.

****

I was with Felix at his nightclub. I was sipping my drink while thinking of Romeo. I didn't know, but I felt some bond to this little one. I could not get him out of my mind. He really looked like me. I had even looked at my childhood photos. There was my photo when I was six months old that exactly looked like him. It felt like I was looking at Romeo's photo. But how was it possible?! If he was my son, Eleanor would tell me. Or...? No, Eleanor would tell me. Yeah. She couldn't hide this kind of serious thing from me. But you screwed up everything a big time, Asher. Maybe....No. She couldn't do it to me.

"Dude, what are you thinking about?" Felix asked, interrupting my thoughts. "About the little boy?"

I nodded, breathing in deeply. "I am really confused." I admitted, running my hand through my hair. "Maybe, I am exaggerating. Or I just want to believe it, but..." I sighed. "He really looks like me." I confirmed.

"I don't know, Ash. After what you have done, it is possible that she keeps it from you a secret. Dude, you were a real jerk." He said, giving me an apologetic look.

I sighed and took a sip from my drink. "I know." I mumbled, depressed.

My phone rang, interrupting my thoughts. I grabbed my phone. It was Jason. I narrowed my eyes, confused. He never called me at midnight. I got worried; he was following Eleanor. Maybe something happened to her.

"Jason?" I asked. "What happened? Is Eleanor okay?" I added anxiously.

"Sir, she is in the hospital."

"What?! Is she okay?" I asked as I stood up.

"Yes, sir. She didn't come for herself. She brought a baby. I wanted to inform you, because she looked worried and rushed inside in a hurry." He informed.

Romeo.

"Was anyone beside them?" I asked, puzzled.

What is Romeo doing with her at this time?