Chapter 26 - Treasure

Asher's POV

I was leaning against the door frame staring at Eleanor who was rocking Romeo slightly. Meanwhile, Romeo was babbling, trying to hold the lock of her hair. I smiled happily. It was the best view in the world.

"My boy, why don't you fall asleep?" Eleanor cooed him and placed a soft kiss on his forehead.

She must be tired, because she was rocking Romeo for more than thirty minutes. But Romeo was wide awake.

I approached her.

"Can I?" I asked, extending my hands towards him.

She nodded and gave Romeo to me. I took him in my arms carefully.

Suddenly, her phone rang. She picked her phone up. It was her mother. She was asking about Romeo. Eleanor walked out, talking to her mother on the phone.

"My treasure." I said and placed a tender kiss on his cheek.

I was pacing back and forth while rocking him. He was rubbing his eye. He looked so cute. I couldn't hold myself and smiled. Slowly his eyelids closed.

I placed him in his crib and pulled a blanket over his body. I caressed his hair, staring at him while smiling sheepishly.

"My treasure." I stroked his hand.

Eleanor's POV

After talking to my mother, I went back to my bedroom.

"My treasure." Asher said, stroking Romeo's hand.

I leaned against the door frame, folding my arms over my chest as I watched them. My eyes welled up. I was so emotional.

When Asher turned around, our eyes met. I straightened, looking at him. He put his hand into his pocket without taking his eyes off me for a second. There was an awkward silence in the room.

"Coffee?" I asked. He nodded.

I handed him a cup of coffee and sat down in the armchair beside the couch. He bit his lower lip, trailing his fingertip around the cup.

"Why did you lie to me?" He asked, looking into my eyes.

I breathed in deeply and took a sip from my coffee.

"You told me you didn't want him. What did you expect from me to do after that?" I asked, shrugging my shoulders. I looked away, tightening my hand around the cup. "When I went to the hospital, I was really going to do it." I admitted. "But when the doctor asked me that if I was sure..." I took a deep sigh. "I couldn't do it. He was so innocent. I couldn't kill him." I confessed. "But I was angry at you. You made me disappoint. I trusted you, despite everything that I heard about you and all warnings that you were not a good choice." I ran my hand through my hair.

He was staring into space, his muscles tense. His face was gloomy.

"I hurt you so much." He mumbled sadly without looking at me.

I took a deep sigh.

"Believe me. I am angry at myself more than you. I felt guilty that because of me, you was forced to kill our baby." He confessed, looking into my eyes with a serious expression.

"It is the past." I mumbled.

"Is it really the past?" He asked as he placed his cup on the centre table and held my hand, looking at me hopefully.

I bit my lower lip, averting my gaze and pulled my hand away.

"I love you, Ellie." He said, lifting my head up by placing his fingertip under my chin, letting our eyes meet.

"Ash, please. Don't start again." I pleaded as I stood up and walked towards the window, staring through the window.

"Ok, I will not bother you anymore." He stated dryly and stood up. "Good night, Ellie." He murmured and left.

I watched him leave. As he closed the door behind him, I closed my eyes, sighing, depressed.

Why does everything have to be difficult? Why can't we be like other couples who don't make each other suffer?

I shook my head and went to my bedroom. I approached Romeo's crib and stroked his cheek with my fingertip affectionately.

"What is Mommy going to do with your daddy?" I asked, sighing.

****

I hadn't heard anything from Asher since he left my penthouse. It had been a week. He just sent me messages a few times asking me about Romeo. I could even feel his coldness from his messages. But today, he had to talk to me. I was bored with this game. We were adults not children. We had to solve our problems with communication.

After the company, I went to his penthouse. I parked my car and got out of the car.

I was squeezing the strap of my bag, biting my lower lip while looking at changing floor numbers in the elevator. My heart was pounding.

When the door opened, my eyes met a pair of familiar eyes.

"Hey." He mumbled, giving me a boyish smirk and took a sip from his whiskey. He was drunk. He was barely standing on his feet.

"Hi." I greeted and approached him as he felt dizzy. I caught him by wrapping my arm around his waist.

"Oops." He mumbled, grinning and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pulling me into his chest. He buried his head into the crook of my hair, breathing in my scent. "Ugh. Why do you smell divine?" He pouted and pulled away.

He drank all his whiskey in a sip and took the bottle. I grabbed his wrist as he was pouring some whiskey into his glass for himself.

"I think it is enough." I said firmly.

When I wanted to take his glass, he pulled his hand away, shaking his head.

"No!" He scowled and took a sip from his whiskey.

"Ash, it is enough." I demanded and grabbed his glass.

When he tried not to give the glass to me, whiskey spilled on my dress.

"Damn it!" I exclaimed angrily and pulled back.

"Sorry." He mumbled innocently and grinned.

I breathed deeply, closing my eyes. When I opened my eyes, he was sitting on the couch, leaning against the back while drinking. I approached him and snatched the glass out of his hand.

"Hey, give it back." He protested and tried to get it back.

"No. Now sit here and wait for me. I will change my clothes and come back. Then I will make you coffee." I demanded. Then I grabbed the bottle and went to his bedroom.

I went to his walk-in closet and grabbed one of his shirts. I took off my dress and put on his shirt.

When I was about to leave, I noticed some photos on top of the drawer. I walked towards the drawer and took the photos.

"Our photos." I murmured, looking at them. I couldn't hold myself and smiled.