Noah Schnapp

(SEMI TRIGGER WARNING: only mentions of suicide)

Power: Telekinesis

Date: Monday, August 12th

Time: 7:08 pm

Location: Noah's House

...

"Suck it!" Jacob yelled, his fingers clicking rapidly on his Xbox controller. He grinned and stuck his tongue between his teeth.

"No!" I cried as he passed me. He hit my cart and I fell off the side of the track. We were playing Mario cart. I used to play Mario cart with Alana; she was always Toad. I was playing Toad now, and He was Mario.

"Boys, keep it down." My mom laughed from where she was preparing dinner. "I'm sure Florida can heat you at this volume."

I laughed. My head felt heavy. I hadn't laughed since... who knows. Not since I was with Alana. Jacob being here really cheered me up. But not enough.

"Sorry, Ms. Schnapp." Jacob said, passing another cart in the game. He was in 3rd and I was in 6th.

"Call me Ania, Jacob." My mom said. "You're staying with us, don't be so formal."

"Okay." Jacob was vaguely aware of what she had said, his focus was on the game. I knew he heard what she said and he understood, he just didn't acknowledge it in that moment.

I felt someone behind us, watching the game. "Can I play after that round?" Ian's little voice crept up to us.

"Is my sister annoying you with her barbies?" I chuckled, my eyes still on the game.

Ian laughed quietly. "I heard that, Noah!" My sister's shrill voice buzzed from her room. I smiled again.

"Yes you can play, Ian." I confirmed. He stepped around the couch and grabbed the third controller. We had four because sometimes My sister or mom would play. Usually it was my friends who played with me. It used to be Tyrone, Jason, and Tyler.

Tyler.

My cheeks flushed just thinking of his name. I clasped my jaw shut, my smiling fading.

Jacob passed the finish line, me swiftly following. He had gained 2nd, and in my rage, I hadn't realized that I had been on his tail in 3rd.

"Ooh, close game!" Jacob opined. I looked over at him and nodded, a little smile returning to my lips. "Yoshi just had to get first."

Ian turned on his controller and joined the game. He chose to be Yoshi. We began to play and I dashed right into first place. Ian lingered around 5th and 6th place and Jacob was right on my tail.

"I'm gonna beat you!" He said as he got right up beside me. His lower lip slid between his teeth and smirked.

"In your dreams, Jay." I released my red shell and he toppled over. I laughed at his agonizing groan and he fell back to 4th place, Ian now on his tail. Ian quickly passed him.

"Eat my dust Jay!" Ian cried out, laughing like the little kid he was.

I grinned and Jacob growled, "Not for long, pip-squeak."

Ian squealed and tried to use a green shell on him but it missed. Ian passed Princess Peach and was now behind me. I was still in first. Dry bones hit Jacob with a red shell and he fell into 5th place.

"It's not too late to take those words back, eh," I teased.

The phone in the kitchen rang and my mother picked it up. I was lightly aware of what the conversation was.