Riley Touche

Power: Pyrokinesis

Date: Wednesday, August 1st

Time: 1:30 pm

Location: The clubhouse

(Inspo song: Breathe by Mako, and for the end Someone to Stay by Vancouver Sleep Clinic)

...

I sighed as my phone rang out and went to voicemail.

"Hey, you've reached Kitty Roseville. I'm probably asleep, I'll get back to you when I can." The voicemail said for the 5th time today.

I hung up the phone and rubbed my eyes with my thumb and forefinger. Tears suddenly spilled from my eyes and I collapsed onto the bed, which was now mine since I had run away from my excuse of a father.

I took a deep breath and wiped my tears, refusing to let my weakness show. Even if I was alone. I grabbed my bag and put it over my shoulder. I stuffed my phone in and a hoodie just because it was getting cold outside. 

I got off my bed and left the clubhouse. I looked down at my outfit. My yellow shirt had some kind of stain but Kitty was more important to me than looking good. My skinny jeans looked fine though. 

I walked down the path and out of the forest, making my way down the sidewalk to Kitty's house. 

I approached the door and my hand hovered over the doorbell. 

She doesn't want to see you. Just leave. 

I pulled my hand away from the doorbell in shock. What was that?

She's with someone else.

My eyes widened and I shook my head, my hand still lingering inches from the doorbell, "What the...?" 

She doesn't love you.

My thoughts jabbed at me like a bully. I bit my lip and furrowed my brow.

She's with someone else.

I knew the thoughts weren't true. But they felt true. Too true.

She cheated.

My jaw fell in a shaky rhythm. That felt true. It felt like something was trying to tell me what I refused to believe. But now I did believe it.

My hand dropped and I stepped away from the door. My feet skidded along the path as I began to leave. Then the door opened. I didn't to look back. But I stopped.

"R-Riley...?" A patchy, weak voice said from the doorway. Kitty. A tear dripped from my eye and I squeezed them shut. "Riley."

I turned around to see her. Her under eyes were a deep blood red. Her skin a green hue. Her body was thin and brittle.

"Kitty..." Another tear fell as I studied her. I slowly approached her. She began to cry and I engulfed her in my arms. She sobbed into my shoulder. 

"Bring me to the clubhouse, Riley..." She croaked.

I pulled far enough away from her that I could see her face but close enough to keep her in my arms. "Why?"

"Just... bring me there." She pleaded. "It's far better than being here."

I just nodded and she wrapped her arm around my shoulders as we walked. We made slow progress but it was progress. 

It was a half an hour before we could see the clubhouse through the trees. We got inside and all the color had drained from her face. She was exhausted and couldn't sit up on her own, let alone stand. I carried her to the bedroom and tucked her into the bed. She thanked me with a warm smile and her eyes fluttered shut.