Chapter 15: Broken Heart

(Dominic's pov: Earlier that day)

"How do I look, Grandma?" I anxiously asked. Gently biting my thumbnail, I awaited her reply. Her cloudy eyes examined me carefully, and after what felt like hours, she sent me a close-eyed smile.

"You look a lot better than you have previously," she joked, then took on a slightly more serious tone," But you do look quite handsome. I'm sure you'll have her drooling at your feet the second you walk through her door."

Running to her, I picked her frail body up and spun her around. I hadn't been this overjoyed in a week, and I was finally feeling like myself again. Just the thought of being able to see (Y/n) again swelled my heart up so much it felt like it was going to pop. My plan was to go to her house and stay a few nights, then she'd remember again how great our love was, and she'd be practically begging me to either stay, or take her with me when I left again. It would be perfect. I was even planning on taking Violet with so Orson could have some company while I stole my Cutie away for a few days. Corrine was already informed to make a dinner for two for us.

Keeping Corrine around was the best decision I'd made yet. She'd kept (Y/n) as safe as she could be, and taken care of her in my absence. Aradella wanted to rid of her and use her for scrap parts, but I'd decided against it because my father had called her his "perfect creation", and only one is ever made in someone's lifetime. I'd thought Reneé was my perfect robot, but I'd on my realized too late of all her flaws. She was too robotic. Corrine truly was a masterpiece.

"Earth to Nic-y, earth to Nic-y, come in Nic-y. You're squeezing the life out of your grandmother," Grandma wheezed out, causing me to abruptly be called back from my stupor. Gently letting her down, I sent her a wide smile while she chuckled.

"She's a great girl for you, Nic. Even though she never speaks, she still seems so familiar to me, I just can't put my finger on it," she trailed off.

"Don't think too hard, Grandma. I'm sure it might come to you eventually," I told her. The fact that she approved so much of my soul mate seemed to make our bond even stronger. I knew Grandma favored Aradella a bit more, but I still appreciated how dedicated she was to both of us, even if she didn't approve of our profession with robots. She was always going on rants about how robots had ruined the world and should just be removed, or deactivated, but the thought of shutting off hundreds of years of work was pure horror to imagine.

"Oh well, I'm sure I will, dear boy. Now, why don't I make you a nice cup of tea while you get Violet ready, hmm?" She rhetorically asked. Her obsession with tea never ceased to amaze me.

"Alright, Grandma. Be sure to make me the cinnamon tea," I called out to her as I walked off to find Violet. Violet had been experiencing a type of animal depression as well with her buddy Orson gone the past week. She'd hardly moved from her couch the entire time, on my getting up to do her business. Her food was hardly ever ate, and she'd gotten a bit thinner, as well as her beautiful multi-colored coat losing its sheen. However, this morning I'd told her about how we'd be going to see (Y/n) and Orson, and her ears perked up before she finally crawled off her couch with her tail slowly wagging. When I explained the rest to her, she got much more excited and started making little circles and attempting to jump up on me to lick my face. She'd nearly knocked me over, but I'd gotten used to her sudden weight appearing from nowhere.

"Oh, Violet!" I called out, elongating the vowels. In less than thirty seconds, I heard her bounding paw-steps running in my direction. Turning around to face the sliding door to the garden, Violet was running with her tongue lolling from side to side at me. My eyes widened at how fast she was coming, and I hardly had time to side step her before she crashes into me. I just barely managed to dodge her, however, and I laughed while patting her head and telling her how good of a girl she is. Panting, her massive form sat in front of me and tilted her head, waiting for me to say something else.