Chapter 1: Muted

The sound of rain filled the silence within the room. An occasional crack of thunder sounded as a sudden wave of light would come through the window. Moving my gaze towards that window, I checked for any sort of unnatural disturbance in the darkness, but little streaks of water distorted the glass's ability to show me the outer world. Mentally going through my options, I decided to take my chances on staying here for the night. There was a only a small chance that a Patrolling Robot or any others of it's kind would check this tiny, run-down apartment building for life anyways. 

      I had sought refuge from the storm what seemed like an hour ago. Luckily, no other human had appeared to be holding up in here. Moving towards the window, I drew the threadbare curtains. I didn't want to take a huge risk if I had to. Sleeping here was already a problem waiting to happen. Now my next issue was my soaked form. I could start a fire, but many other occurrences could happen from there. If the wood of this room caught fire it would most definitely draw unwanted attention, but if I didn't start a fire there was a possibility of sickness making me weaker to face whatever lay ahead of me. 

     Shivering, I tiptoed towards a corner and rested my aching muscles as I sat. I hadn't found any new clothes in my most recent exploration so I seemed to be stuck with these wet ones. Deciding to get back up once again to check the room, I winced. Earlier today I had a run-in with a robotic dog who thought I'd make a great chew toy. Besides having to sprint through the rubble of the small town I'd found, the mutt had managed to grab down on my calf causing my legs to ache more than they would have originally. Thankfully the blood had dried long ago and the rain had cleansed the wound for me.

      Using the wall as a support, I made my way to the outline of a dresser. Opening the top drawer, I only found a moth-eaten shirt 10 sizes too small. A frown grew on my visage as I realised someone used to live here with a small child. Regardless of what happened to them, I could only assume it wasn't a good ending. Moving onto the next drawer, I found a decent pair of jeans along with a shirt that read "Canadian Pride" with a red leaf in the middle. The word choice confused me as I knew nothing of the word "Canada". Maybe it had something to do with this person's last name. 

      Removing my drenched clothing, I layed the items across the dresser and shimmied into the tight fitting clothing. This wasn't the best thing to be wearing in this world for it would cause a problem in a fight or flight situation, but it was better than getting sick from wet clothing. I already felt a tad bit warmer. Adding up all my risky choices of the day, I figured starting a small fire couldn't be as bad as I previously thought. Locating my medium sized bag that I carried with me that held provisions that one would need, I took out the small lighter and dry sticks I had found in my journeys. 

      Prying a sheet of metal off the door, I placed it near the corner I had previously sat in. Arranging the sticks on the metal, I struck the lighter and lit the wood. A small, stray spark landed on my finger as I released a heavy sigh of air. I'd just have to add that scar to all the others. Sometimes I really wished I could mutter a simple "ow". Just a small, one syllable word would be enough for me, but with my parents tragic death, that wasn't possible. It struck something deep within me that cancelled out my voice box. Moving back into my corner, I sat my sore body down once more. Another streak of light made it through the curtain as it illuminated the room. If someone were to ever look in, they'd only see the small form of someone deprived of food desperately trying to survive. If they saw into my mind, they'd see a completely different person.