Chapter 31: Daddy's Girl

ابدأ من البداية

Toni leaned down and whispered to Jenna, “Gising pala si Baby, si Daddy pala ang tulog.” Jenna moved her arms to respond.

Toni reached down to Jenna and played with her hands. “Just dropped by to see the angel. I’m going back to school,” Toni said.

“Okay. Be careful,” I told him.

He smiled. He looked at Jeric then turned to me, “Ate, huwag ng mag-inarte. Andito na oh.”

“Oo na po. Don’t worry I know now what I will be missing if I let him go,” I told my brother.

“Good. I’ll go ahead,” he said and said byebye to Jenna. Then he was off to school.

After Toni left, I prepared Jenna’s food. I fed her and sat on the stool beside Jenna’s crib. I played with Jenna for a while, in our own little way. I lifted her up.

“Baby, quiet tayo. Tulog pa si Daddy. He looked like he really needs a lot of sleep,” I told Jenna. And as if she really understood me, she didn’t make a sound.

Quietly, Jenna and I played with her toys. Until she got sleepy again, like all babies, who are always sleepy. I put her back to sleep. Jeric was still asleep so I decided to read a book. I was seated on a chair beside Jenna’s crib.

While I was reading, Jeric stirred. I looked up to him. While his eyes were closed, his arms looked like they’re looking for something.

“Anna?” Jeric whispered. I thought he was awake but his eyes were still closed.

“Anna?” Now he seemed nervous.

“Anna!” His voice was in panic. I immediately stood up and stood beside him.

“I’m here Jec,” I told him without touching him.

His eyes shot open. “Anna!” he said.

“Heeey, I’m here,” I touched his face.

His eyes were in panic as he search for me. When he laid his eyes own me, he virtually relaxed. He immediately pulled me to him.

“I’m here,” I said gently. He hugged me tighter.

“You left me,” he said almost silently.

“I’m still here. I just got up so you could have space. You looked like you need sleep…” I tried to explain but he just hugged me even tighter.

“Please don’t leave me,” he said like a child.

“I won’t, Jec. You just had a bad dream. Everything’s alright. I’m here,” I told him and hugged him back. He’s trembling and his heart is beating so fast. I can feel it. “That was just a bad dream,” I keep on saying.