Chapter 3: Dream Family

Jeric

Today marks our first year together. Time flew so fast that I didn’t even realize that I had been with the amazing woman I love for a year. It always feels like that time stops whenever I’m with her.

Everyone is asking me, specifically the tigers, on what’s going to be my surprise for her for our first year anniversary. The truth is, I didn’t prepare anything.

Yeaaaah. I know, I’m lame.

She made me promise, swear rather, not to do anything without her knowing. She doesn’t want to be surprised anymore like what happened on her graduation day. Our conversation went this way…

“Jeric, sinasabi ko sa’yo, pag ikaw may ginawa na naman ha,” she warned me. I held up my hands as if surrendering but smiled mischievously.

“Babe, promise me, enough with all the fancy things please. I’m not comfortable receiving them. I really do feel special even with the littlest things you do.” She said almost pleading.

“That’s why I love you. Okay, I promise I won’t do or buy anything fancy. Would my gorgeous body be enough for you?” I asked teasingly.

“We can always do something about it,” she said then giggled. “No more expensive stuff, just you.”

“Yes boss!” I replied.

So we ended up planning a barbecue/picnic day for the two of us. We went to Tagatay, to her grandparents’ simple but comfortable wooden rest house there.

We drove to Tagaytay early so we could shop for the food that we’ll prepare later. We arrived there at around 7:30 in the morning.

“We could leave our things here for a while so we can go to the market and buy stuffs,” she said as I lay our bags.

We didn’t bring a lot cause we’re only staying for the day. We’ll be going home later.

“Yeah, do you know the way?” I asked. I’ve been in Tagatay before but I’m poor with directions. I’m always with my family whenever I’m here.

“Yes. I used to stay here every summer when I was younger and when my Nana and Dada were still staying in this house,” she said.

“Good because I suck with directions,” I moved closer to her and fixed her knitted jacket that matches mine. Summer is approaching but it’s still chilly here.

“Now, where to?” I asked her and offered my hand.

“Well, through the door first then we’ll be on our way to the market.” She jokingly said.

When we arrived in the market, we bought everything that we might need.

Anna was busy choosing which color of the same looking t-shirts to buy for Almira when I saw a chubby boy offering every stranger he meets with a stem of rose he’s selling.

“Bata!” I called him. He came running to me.

“Kuya pogi, bibili po ba kayo ng bulaklak?” The boy asked me. I nodded which made him smile.

“Bibilhin ko lahat yan ha. Magkano lahat?” I asked him.

He counted all 5 roses. But he rubbed his head when he can’t figure out how much it all cost. “Magkano ba ang isa bata?”

“35 po,” He answered.

I fished out my wallet and produced a 500 peso bill. I gave it to the boy.

“Itago mo na rin yung sukli,” I said which made the boy smile all the way.

“Pero may request lang ako bata,” he looked at me intently waiting for my request.