Chapter 9: Psychology

Anthony

It’s late in the evening and I’m reviewing for an exam tomorrow.  I think it’s already quarter to 12 when I heard noise from the outside.

At first, I ignored it but eventually it crept me out. I decided to check it out.

The noise was coming from the kitchen. I cautiously walked to it. When I opened the lights it was Ate Anna.

“What are you doing? I thought you were a burglar.” I told her.

She continued to search the cupboards and ignored me. She was standing on the wooden stool since she can’t reach it.

“Ate baka mahulog ka! Bumaba ka kaya. Ano bang hinahanap mo? Ako na lang maghahanap,” I told her.

“Shhh, you might wake everybody up.” She said.

“Ate naman, baka malaglag ka diyan. Papatayin mo pa yang anak mo,” I told her.

She sighed after she can’t find what she’s looking for. She looked down to me and outreached her hand. I put her down carefully.

“Ano ba kasi ang hinahanap mo?” I asked her.

“I remembered Mom bought gummy bears when we went to the grocery last time. But I can’t find them,” she told me.

All this hassle for gummer bears?! I don’t understand pregnant women! There’s no biological explanation for their “paglilihi”.

I looked at her in exasperation. “Ate, can you look for gummy bears tomorrow? It’s already late.”

“Shh. I’ll buy na lang outside. I’ll be back in a bit,” she said.

“What?! Ate gabi na. Bukas na lang yan!” I tried to convince her.

“Anthony, I’m still older than you are. Stay here. I’ll be back.” She said and went directly to her car.

I have a very long exam tomorrow and I’m not even halfway done with my notes. I can’t follow my stubborn pregnant sister. I wanted to wake Mom and Dad up but I thought about it. They were super tired from work so I decided to call Kuya Jeric.

I dialed his number and after a few rings he answered.

“Hello?” Kuya Jeric answered sleepily.

“Sorry for disturbing you Kuya but Ate Anna went out of the house alone. Ayaw magpapigil eh,” I told him.

“Where’d she go?” Kuya Jeric said on the other line. I surely woke him up.

“She went out to buy gummy bears.” I said.

“At this time?!” He sound as exasperated as I was earlier.

“Ewan ko ba sa buntis na yun. She won’t listen to me. Pinagalitan pa nga ako eh,” I told Kuya.

“Okay. I’ll call her,” Kuya Jeric said and turned the call off.

After a few more minutes, Kuya Jeric called.

“Kuya?” I answered.

“She’s not answering her phone.” Kuya told me.

“Tony, can you wait for her and can you call me when she arrives?” Kuya Jeric instructed me.

15 minutes later, she’s not home yet. 20 minutes… 30…. 45… 1 hour… No Ate Anna went home.  I decided to call Kuya Jeric and he picked up after the first ring.

“Nakauwi na ba Ate mo?” Kuya asked right after he picked.

“She’s not yet home pa po,” I told him.