Chapter 26: Away

Jeric

“Ahia, wait!” I heard Almira called when I was on my way out of the hospital.

I didn’t stop but I walked slower. I know I can’t do this alone. I need support especially from them. They caught up with me eventually. Almira and Jeron quietly followed me until we reach my car. Jeron took the passenger’s seat and Almira at the back.

 At first, we were all silent until Almira can’t hold her thoughts anymore. “Ahia, Achi Anna don’t mean anything that she said. We all know that. She was just speaking out of pure emotions. She was blinded by the pain that she has gone through.”

“Dichi is right, Ahia. We all know how much Achi loves you,” Jeron agreed.

I listened but I didn’t utter a word. I focused my attention to the road. I have a particular place in mind but I didn’t tell the two.

My siblings respected my decision that we should take in silence as we travel.

The place I had in mind was our old house where my siblings and I grew up. My family maintained this house even after we transferred to the new house.

“This place looks exactly the way it was before,” Almira noted.

“Yeah! Achi’s antique piano is still here,” Jeron said as he noticed the old wooden piano at one corner of the living room.

I continued to walk until I reached the mini garden. It was the same garden as before except the plants outgrew their pots. It has the same relaxing feeling as it had before.

I closed my eyes and engulfed fresh air brought about by the greens surrounding me.

“This place has always been your refuge, Ahia,” I heard Jeron said. I kept silent.

“When we were younger and Mom would scold you about something, this is the place where we can find you. This was the place where you always cry,” Almira said.

“Still is,” I said as I let my tears flow down my cheeks.

Though my eyes are still closed, I knew it was Almira who hugged me.

“Everything’s going to be fine, Ahia. Just believe,” she said.

I hugged my sister back. “I hope so, Shobe. But for now, I need to breathe. Nakakapagod pala,” I said.

“Take all the time in the world, Ahia. You know we always got your back,” Jeron said.

“Thank you, both of you,” I told my younger siblings. I opened my eyes and saw them both smiling at me.

“Be strong, Ahia, for you, for Jenna and for Achi,” Jeron said.

“I’m doing my best. I can’t lose them both. I won’t let that happen,” I said to them.