Chapter 14: Jenna

Anna

Jeric held out his hand for me to hold. He’s looking straight into my eyes. I reached out to his hand and he held it tightly.  He smiled and butterflies filled my stomach.

Today is Wednesday and my fifth monthly check up. We will now know if our baby is going to be a boy or a girl. Jeric kind of skipped practice, with permission of course, to be with me.

He is standing beside me while I’m lying in a testing/hospital bed. On the other side of my bed is some kind of a machine that looks like a television. A wire connects a half-of-a-foot white tube to the machine. The technician or whoever might have prepared it already because it was on. I didn’t have the time to examine the other things inside the room because the door opened.

We both turned to the lady in white when she entered the room. She was smiling at the both of us like she was assuring that everything will be alright. But my heart says otherwise.

My heart was like pounding its way out of my chest cavity. I don’t know why I am so nervous. I just couldn’t explain why I am freaking inside. Maybe it’s because of the excitement.

“Are you ready, Anna?” Tita Serena asked. She stood beside the TV/machine. She picked up the white tube and sat on the stool.

I turned to Jeric first. He smiled at me and grip my hand a little tighter. “I think so,” I said.

“Don’t be nervous dear. You’ll be fine. Aren’t you excited?” Tita Serena asked and paused for a bit. “Do you want to know? Just making sure. Other couples want to be surprised of what’s they’re baby is going to be.”

“We want to know po. I don’t think I will be able to sleep for the rest of my pregnancy if I’m left clueless.” I told the doctor.

She smiled in a very doctorly way, if you know what I mean.  “Of course,” she said.

“And she wants to know what color to shop for the baby,” Jeric added as I throw him dagger looks. “What? I’m trying to loosen you up honey. You look so nervous.”

“Fine.” I stuck my tongue out at him which made him and the doctor laugh a little. “Will it hurt?” I turned to Tita.

“Nope. Won’t hurt even a little bit.” Tita Serena assured me like a child.

“Okay. Let’s get this done and over with.” I told her.

She helped me getting my tummy open. She then put some kind of a gel on top of it which is tingly by the way. I flinched when I felt the cooling effect of the gel. Jeric helped me in steadying myself. The doctor then pulled the white tube to my tummy and gently rolled it. She focused herself on the TV.

Jeric and I looked at the moving images at the TV like we know what we are looking at. The truth is we don’t have any idea what those black and white images mean. Until Tita Serena started to explain.