Chapter 34 - The unbearable waiting

Start from the beginning

I took the plate and fork and sat down beside Eleanor on the couch.

"Ellie, please." I said, giving her a begging look as I extended the fork towards her.

"No, Ash. I don't want anything." She protested.

"Please, you have to eat something. You haven't eaten anything since yesterday. I am worried about you." I said anxiously and placed my hand on top of her hand.

She bit her lower lip, looking away.

"Baby, please." I begged and extended the fork towards her. She put a piece of scrambled egg into her mouth. I gave her a warm smile. Our parents smiled, relieved.

I was pacing back and forth nervously. The detective told us that they couldn't find him for now. But they were still searching for him. Jason and his team were searching for him too.

Suddenly, my phone rang. Everyone stared at me nervously. I grabbed my phone and looked at the screen. It was an anonymous number. I breathed deeply and picked up my phone.

"Yes?" I said, trying to control my voice.

"How is the feeling of devastation? I said you would pay for firing me." Aaron stated arrogantly.

I gritted my teeth and snapped. "If you do something bad to my son, I will kill you with my bare hands."

"Hey, calm down. You are not in that state to order me anything." He said bitterly. "Now, shut up and listen to me." He snapped. "I want five million dollars for this bastard. He is an expensive bastard, isn't he?! The son of the gorgeous Asher Wright and the beautiful heiress, Eleanor Miller." He stated mockingly. I clenched my fist. "You have three hours to get that money ready." He added.

"What?! How can I get five million dollars ready in three hours? It is impossible." I commented as I ran my hand through my hair nervously.

"It is your problem. You were always an arrogant brat. Now it is the time to show me that it is not just a facade." He smirked mockingly. "Otherwise, you will not see your bastard anymore." He added.

"Don't touch...." He hung up without letting me finish.

"Fuck!" I hissed angrily and hit the chair.

"What did he say?" The detective asked.

"He wants five million dollars. We have three hours." I informed, running my hand through my hair, desperate. "If we don't give him the money, he..." I stopped without managing to finish my sentence.

Eleanor burst out crying. I rushed towards her and hugged her tightly in my arms, trying to hold my tears back.

"Ash, please. Bring my son to me." Eleanor begged, gripping my shirt.

"I will, baby. Trust me. I will bring our son back to you." I promised, stroking her hair.

My father and Arthur got the money ready. It felt like time didn't pass. I was so nervous.

I was moving my hand up and down Eleanor's arm while she rested her head on my chest. I brought her hand to my lips and kissed her palm. She looked so nervous too. Her hands were cold.

Suddenly, Eleanor stood up and rushed towards the bathroom, covering her mouth with her hand.

When her mother wanted to go after Eleanor, I stood up and said I would go after Eleanor. She nodded.

I pulled Eleanor's hair back, stroking her back while she was vomiting.

After throwing up, she washed her face.

"Are you better?" I asked, concerned and cupped her cheeks.

She nodded and placed her hand on her stomach. I kissed her forehead and pulled her into my chest as I headed us back to the living room.

"Are you okay, dear?" My mother asked, worried.

Everyone looked at Eleanor, concerned while waiting for an answer. She nodded.

Suddenly, my phone rang. I pulled my phone out of my pocket quickly. It was Aaron. I breathed deeply and picked up my phone.

He gave me the address and warned me to come alone. I grabbed the bag where the money was. The detective gave me an instruction. They were going to follow me from a distance.

"I am coming with you." Eleanor said.

"No, Ellie. You are staying here." I declared firmly.

"No..."

"Ellie, you are staying at home. It isn't up for discussion." I said firmly, cupping her cheek. I planted a soft kiss on her forehead and left.

****

Hey, guys!

Are you ready for the new book? If you want some spoilers about my next book, then check my Instagram account.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hmiamiamia (The link in my bio as well.)

Lots of love!