Day Nine of Christmas

A/N: More fluff, coming at ya.

Gwaine tightened his grip on the handle to his untouched mug of ale. He looked around the full tavern, wincing at the sight of the pairs of people. After encouraging Leon to go talk to the pretty girl he'd been staring at all night, Gwaine had been left alone.

Not how he wanted to spend this cold night.

Before he became a knight, he'd often go find a random girl to keep company with, or join a group of men in order to weasel his way into a few free drinks. But it was always temporary.

He'd often get chased off by the girl's brothers, father, or, even more likely, her love. And when the large group of men would find out he had no money to contribute, Gwaine would often have to run for his life.

Now, he just sat alone, in the dark corner of the pub.

"I'm surprised you're not busy with some girl." Gwaine jumped at the sound of a voice right behind him, and his face split into a grin at the familiar sight of Merlin.

"Oh, you know, I have to let the other knights have a chance." Gwaine shot back. Merlin raised an eyebrow, a small smile on his face. Gwaine suddenly became eager to change the subject. "Don't you have chores from Arthur?"

Merlin rolled his eyes. "Arthur always thinks I'm in here anyway. It won't kill him not to have one night without me tucking him in." Gwaine laughed at the remark.

Though it wasn't the company he was used to, but this was definitely better.