Memory

A/N: I got the idea from another fic online. A bit of an angsty oneshot.

Setting: I don't care as long as Arthur's king

Description: Merlin gets hit on the head a little too hard. Arthur and the knights are trying to trigger his memory.

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin or it's characters

       Arthur and the knights were on a hunting trip, so of course Merlin came along.

       Merlin never really understood why Arthur made him come. The king knew of his distaste for these huntings trips, and Merlin would often scare away game by tripping at the wrong time.

But when Arthur turned slightly, Merlin could see that satisfied smirk on his face.

That's when it hit him.

Arthur knew Merlin hates these things, and that was precisely why Merlin had to come along. Simply as a form of torture. Still, Merlin made up for it by talking as much as he could. Gwaine was always willing to chat as they rode along.

Gwaine was in the middle of one of us infamous stories when Arthur motioned for them to be quiet. Merlin raised an eyebrow (one that looked scarily similar to Gaius's), his eyes looking in the same direction as Arthur's.

"Bandits!" Arthur suddenly shouted, drawing his sword. Quickly, the others did the same, Leon shouting in anger when his horse was hit, before dismounting. Men rushed from the forest, though very few actually managed to land a blow on any of the knights. Most of it was thanks to tree branches falling, or bandits tripping, all of which Arthur and his men took in stride. After all, they normally had such luck.

It hadn't taken long before the bandits were disposed of, with little to no injuries sustained by the knights of Camelot. Gwaine had a small cut on his forearm, and Leon was missing his horse, but other than that they were fine.

Except that they were missing someone.

"Where's Merlin?" Gwaine piped up, making Arthur jump in surprise. He hadn't even noticed the manservant run off in the fight.

"Probably off hiding somewhere." Arthur said. But his expression betrayed his words. He was worried. The king dismounted his horse, scanning the ground for tracks. A few were able to be seen in the underbrush, and Arthur motioned for the knights to follow him. Not a few seconds later, they found Merlin, unconscious. Just off to the side there was an equally unconscious bandit, while Merlin's horse was grazing next to the man.

"Merlin?" Gwaine rushed forward, checking over his friend. He sighed in relief when there were no apparent injuries, and Arthur moved to gently shake his manservant. Merlin groaned, his eyes fluttering open.

"There you are, Merlin." Arthur hid his relief with his normal arrogant tone. "Did you have a nice nap while we were fighting?" Merlin sat up, holding his head. He jumped back in shock when he noticed Arthur sitting so closely.

"I'm sorry, but..." he paused, searching Arthur's face. "Do I know you?" Arthur sucked in a breath, helping Merlin to his feet. Gwaine stepped closer as Merlin swayed, before steadying himself. When Merlin's gaze landed on Gwaine, his expression lit up. "I know you!" He exclaimed, making Gwaine smile. "You're... you're..." Merlin face twisted in concentration. "You like to spend your time in the tavern." That earned a few chuckles and grins. "You're Gwaine!" Merlin said triumphantly.

"That I am." Gwaine stated with a smile, ignoring the remaining grins from the tavern comment. "Do you remember anything else?" Merlin furrowed his eyebrows.