Too Much Time

A/N: I'm a sucker for time loops

Plot: time loop angst ;)))

It wasn't supposed to end like this.

Out of all the thoughts Arthur could've had in that moment, that was the only thing that could describe the situation completely.

It was supposed to end with Arthur, Merlin, and a few of his knights safely in Mithian's kingdom before nightfall- not with the group of Morgana's men appearing out of nowhere, taking the king's traveling companions by surprise. The knights had fought bravely, and within a short time, they had sent all their assailants into a retreat.

All except for one.

And one was all it took.

The day wasn't supposed to end with Merlin, lying dead on the ground, a knife buried deep in his chest.

A knife that was meant for Arthur.

There had been no time for final words, for quiet reassurances.

The young king could hear his knights behind him, arguing, screaming, mourning. How was he supposed to tell Guinevere about this? How was he supposed to tell Gaius? Arthur could only stare at the blank look on his friend's face, silently begging for a single sign of life. A cheeky grin, a joke, even an insult would be better than the roaring sound in his ears that seemed to drown everything else out.

"If you had the chance, would you go back and fix this?" The question, despite it being no more than a whisper, seemed to echo through the forest. Arthur's head snapped up, and even the knights fell silent as a familiar woman stepped into their field of vision.

No one answered her, and instead continued to stare. Her gaze moved across the knights, then to Arthur, and finally to... Merlin. She took a step towards him, hand outstretched as if to touch him.

"Don't touch him." Gwaine, who had been deathly silent since Merlin had hit the ground, growled the command. She didn't react to him when he spoke, and she continued to move forward even when he drew his sword.

"Sir Gwaine, you're in no shape to be fighting right now." Her eyes didn't leave Merlin's form while she reprimanded him. The knight had tears streaming down his face, and the way his hand trembled as he tightened his grip on his hilt only proved her right. "Please, I have no interest in harming anyone." Her features softened for a brief moment. "Especially Merlin."

Leon stepped forward warily. "How do you know his name?" She only smiled in response.

Percival glanced at the king, who hadn't moved from Merlin's side. "Arthur, do you want us to send her away?" Arthur's shoulders shook slightly, and there was a moment of complete silence before he fixed his blue eyes on the mysterious woman.

"You asked me a question just a moment ago." She nodded. Maybe had he been paying more attention, he would've noticed the familiarity of the woman. But he had more important things to worry about. Arthur glanced from her, back to Merlin, ignoring the tears that had welled up in his eyes. "My answer is yes."

The woman smiled softly, and suddenly, the world faded to black.

Arthur groaned as he opened his eyes, blinking rapidly to adjust to the sunlight that streamed through his curtains. He turned his head, and he could see Guinevere stirring next to him.

She looked up at him and grinned. "Morning, your majesty. How come you and Merlin haven't already gone about your duties?"

Merlin.