To the Future and Beyond

A/N: whoops, it's been a while so I have no idea how I used to format this and I'm much too lazy to look back so good luck. This one hasn't been editing like at all so hopefully it's ok!

Plot: the title says it all :)

No disclaimer, I've declared myself owner of the Merlin franchise

Arthur groaned, consciousness hitting him hard. His head felt like it was splitting open. He opened his eyes, blinking at the bright light that filtered through the windows of the throne room. He could hear his knights around him, and based off their noises of discomfort, they were going through the same pain as he was.

"Who are you?" A voice, both familiar and strange, broke through the fog in Arthur's mind. "I'll only ask once more- who are you?" This time, the question was enforced with the point of a sword against Arthur's throat. Adrenaline rushed through his system as he looked up to see who dared to threaten him...

...only to be met with his own face.

The other Arthur- the imposter- seemed nearly as shocked as he was. Appearance wise, they could've been twins. The only differences were minor- deepened crows feet in the corner of his eyes, a light colored beard framing his face,and other signs of aging that were on the other's face.

"Arthur!" Merlin jumped to his feet as he shouted, and the sounds of the knights scrambling to their feet to defend their ruler could be heard. Problem was, they weren't sure which one to defend.

The Arthur holding the sword stared at him, silently judging him. The prince could see a couple of figures standing behind him, but couldn't quite make out their faces.

After a moment of tense silence, Arthur decided to respond. "I'm Arthur, prince of Camelot, and I'd like to know what exactly is going on!"

"Arthur, maybe you shouldn't shout at the man who has a sword to your throat." Lancelot warned. The imposter Arthur flinched at the sight of Lancelot, though he recovered quickly, his expression turning into one of curiosity.

"Prince, you say?" He stepped back after a moment, sheathing his sword. "Well, that's certainly... strange."

"How's that?" Leon moved towards the two, ready to attack at the first sign of trouble.

"It's strange because I'm King Arthur of Camelot, and you're in my throne room."

"That's not possible." Gwaine muttered. He glanced to Percival, then to Elyan, trying to confirm that he wasn't going insane. "You heard him say that too, right?"

"Just because he says it doesn't mean it's true." Arthur stood, attempting to regain his composure, hand on the pommel of his sword.

Suddenly, Merlin was standing between the two. "Let's not start any fights." He gave both Arthur's a pointed look. The guards standing behind the supposed king seemed on edge, and so did Arthur's knights. "What's something only Arthur would know?" The king thought for a moment, before grinning. He leaned forward, whispering something in the other's ear.

Arthur paled considerably. "Stand down, men. He really is... me."

King Arthur waved his hand at the guards behind him. "Please inform the queen that I wish to see her." At the mention of a queen, Arthur felt the pit in his stomach grow. Without a word, the guards left the room to do as the king had said. Despite the lack of drawn weapons, there was still a visible tension that kept them all from relaxing.

Gwaine was the first to break the silence. "I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like to know what's going on."

King Arthur glanced at him. "I would too. What's the last thing you remember?" Arthur searched his memories, still trying to clear some of the mental fog that wouldn't go away.