Queen of Hearts AU

A/N: Super angsty, and this time I'm genuinely sorry about it.

Setting: During Queen of Hearts

Description: Somehow, the aging spell goes wrong, knocking Merlin out.

Disclaimer: I only own my inability to write.

As the torch fell at Gwen's feet, Morgana felt her burning resolve crumble immediately. She opened her mouth to say something, anything, to stop this, but it was drowned out by the sounds of screams that would haunt Morgana for the rest of her days.

Arthur's screams far outlasted Guinevere's. They began as screams of rage, pounding at his window in desperation. Choking sobs were mingled within the hoarse curses, while Uther was convincing himself that this was all part of the enchantment.

And even as the flames died down, even when all that was left was a smoking pile of ashes, Arthur screamed. Screamed until his voice was hoarse and his lungs could barely take in air. By the time darkness fell over the courtyard, the screams had been reduced to sobs. And by morning, it was only harsh silence.

Until that silence was interrupted by a quiet knock.

Arthur didn't bother to answer, his eyes not leaving the remnants of the pyre that was being cleared away.

"Arthur."

"My father has crossed a line today, Merlin." The prince spoke without emotion, still facing the window. "He needs to be removed from power." Arthur turned, meeting blue eyes that were as bloodshot as his own. "And I am willing to do... whatever," his voice cracked. "It takes to do just that."

"'Whatever it takes'?" Merlin repeated. Arthur gave him a single nod, his expression cold as steel. Memories of his best friend's dying screams echoed in Merlin's ears, solidifying his resolve.

Then Merlin's eyes flashed a bright gold.