Chapter 18: The Station Where We Parted

Located on the Island of Kyushu and nestled in the heart of Fukuoka City is Hakata Station. It is sprawling with commuters from Nagasaki and far-flung places like Kagoshima. I have stood in its platforms countless times, walked through the ticket turnstiles, and deposited my bag in my favorite coin locker more times than I could remember.

As I disembarked from the Shinkansen unto the familiar hallways of Hakata Station with Kanna in tow, still disheveled from the long journey, I couldn't help but notice the minute details that I have never noticed before, the slow movement of the second hand of the giant clock on the platform, the steam billowing from a coffee machine,  the slower pace of my fellow commuters and most importantly the slight spring on my step as I walked arm in arm with Kanna.

The Christmas mood was evident as we walked into JR Hakata City, the Mall that connects the Station Platforms. Christmas lights hung elegantly from the lamp posts and Giant Christmas trees stood high in the atrium amongst a sea of dating couples. There was a warm romantic mood in the air that I never noticed before during Winters in Fukuoka but Kanna was oblivious to the cozy aura, busy with calling her parents.

The mall became more crowded as more trains arrived and departed during the evening rush hour. The surge of people was making it hard for me to keep track of Kanna who was still busy with her phone behind me. The bustling noise had made it impossible for me to call her out when I was suddenly pulled by the surge of people. I decided that I would just double back near the turnstiles when the crowd has dispersed and so I reluctantly allowed myself to be swept by the crowd my last glimpse of Kanna was that she was still aloof from the rushing crowd, still busy with her phone.

I Half ran back to where I last saw Kanna hoping that she has stayed in place waiting for me to rejoin her. As I descended the last flight of stairs to the mall atrium I could clearly see that she was no longer where I last saw her