Chapter 17- Shinkansen

The low whine of the Tokaido Shinkansen had kept me awake since we departed from Shinagawa station in Tokyo. The direct Nozomi line takes at least 5 hours to reach the Hakata Station in Fukuoka and amazingly Kanna had been asleep since we left the outskirts of Tokyo and I was left alone with the wild swirling thoughts of the events the previous day.

Kanna had managed to drag me along to Fukuoka since her parents had insisted that she would return home for the holidays. We had no definite plans on what we would do when we arrive in Fukuoka since I didn't know what to call our relationship yet so I assumed that we would go our separate ways when we get there and probably meet at some point after.

I was confused about how to treat Kanna but since the day I had spent the night in her apartment she had treated me like a close friend. I tried to get clues on what had happened the night prior but she would just give me mild hints or completely ignored my questions and after a couple of tries I gave up finding out what had happened.

I was even more intrigued by Akari. She had stopped returning my calls or ignored my text messages

Kanna was peacefully asleep beside me in our half-empty train car and oblivious to the speed at which the n700A Shinkansen was barreling towards our destination. Her hair was cropped in a bun and the headphones she was wearing were hanging loose as she dropped her head and settled on my shoulders. I tried to reach for the melon bread on the table in front of me but I was afraid I would wake her up so I just stared out the window as scenes of small quaint towns pass by like a blur.