Part XII

The day I feared was drawing closer, even if I didn't want to admit it

~~

"I'm sure it will be all fine in the end"

The sweet smell of pancakes and syrup was what woke you out of your sleepy daze. Confused and drowsy, you opened your eyes, gradually becoming accustomed to the dim morning light streaming through the windows. In the background, you could hear the radio playing and someone humming along to it.

You blinked a couple times, sitting up and looking around. Why were the blinds open? And who was in your apartment, making... breakfast?

From the open door came a loud sigh and the faint smell of something burnt reached your nose. You threw the blanket aside and crept into the hallway, cautiously looking around the corner into your kitchen.

A tall male with pink hair and wide shoulders was standing there, back turned to you and with a flowery apron covering the front of his body.

Jin. You exhaled in relief, grinning at what he was wearing.

Your brother turned around at the sound, eyebrows raising at your sleepy appearance and with a spatula tight in his left hand. "Good morning, sleepyhead".

"Good morning, flower", you mocked him right back, leaning against the frame of the door with your arms crossed, "I didn't know you had the key to my apartment".

"I don't", visibly embarrassed, he untied the apron and laid the spatula to the side, "Mom gave it to me". Looking you up and down, he added: "And shouldn't you be getting ready for work?"

You nodded, intentionally talking past what he was saying. "I should, but you're the one breaking into my apartment at this hour and making me pancakes. It would be slightly unfair not to allow me to eat now".

Jin rolled his eyes, gesturing to a plate with an already huge stack of his cooking. "Eat then. Besides, it's not breaking in if I have a key".

"If that's the way you want to put it", sitting down, you took another plate from the side and pushed it towards him, "Here. I know you made too many anyway".

Your brothers eyes lit up and he happily took the plate, making you sigh in amusement. For a while, you sat and ate, not really talking but enjoying each other's company. You kept glancing at the clock, reminding yourself that you didn't have to go until nine.

"Mi, seriously, shouldn't you get going?", Jin noticed your gaze, furrowing his brows. You shook your head, finishing up what was left on your plate.

"No, after having to go in so late last night, Ji- Mr Park said I could come in later", you explained, getting up to put the cutlery in the sink. You felt painfully aware of almost slipping up on the name, cheeks red and deliberately not looking at your brother.

Jin sighed behind you, and as you turned around, he looked like he'd been expecting it. "He's told you to address him by his first name, hasn't he?"

Uncomfortable, you crossed your arms and nodded reluctantly. "It's fine though. I find it makes things a bit more relaxed".

Your brother tilted his head, contemplating. "Hmm. Look, I know we talked about this yesterday, but work-relationships... they're difficult. Especially if he's your boss".

"He's engaged, you know", you mumbled, staring at the ground. When you looked back up, Jin looked both surprised and exasperate.

"Well, that's one thing I wouldn't have expected from him, but even more so a sign to keep it strictly work related. Who's the lucky girl?"