Part IV

Sometimes, you don't notice attraction until it has your hands chained to its own

~~

"Are you scared of me?"

The garden was dark, gravel crunching under your feet. Silence had taken over since you stepped outside, a chilly breeze making you wrap your arms around yourself, shuddering. You'd left your jacket in the car.

"Is it too cold for you?", you felt a warm weight rest on your shoulder and looked up at Jimin. His eyes were shimmering and there was quiet concern in his voice. You swallowed the lump that started to build in your throat.

"No", you shook your head, shyly turned your gaze away from him. "You're lying", it wasn't a question, but a calm statement from his side. He stopped on the path. "Wait a second".

He took off his jacket, gently placing it on your shoulders. His scent filled your nose, the soft material smoothing against your skin. He took a step back, now only in a black button-down shirt.

"There", his voice was soft, a strong contrast to his burning eyes, "Better?"

You nodded, silently walking towards the fountain that stood in the middle of the garden. The water reflected the moonlight, sparkling in the dark like diamonds. It was still and beautiful.

"You know", you say quietly, taking another step forwards, "This reminds me of a painting".

"Does it?", he looked at you, expression gentle. You nodded again, coming to a standstill before the stone basin. "It's called Night's dream and is painted by Bae Minji. A young woman stands before a well in the dark, back turned to the viewer".

You look at the shimmering water thoughtfully. "Before her stands a boy, hand resting under her chin and kissing her slowly. Yet he's only made of silver dust and shadows, already starting to dissolve as the sun goes up. An illusion...".

There is silence, then you feel an arm slide around your waist. Jimin presses you against his side, staring out onto the water wondrously, oblivious to the shock on my face.

Your heart feels like it's going to burst out of your ribcage, it's beating so fast, being so close to him. The faint scent of cologne and sweet smell of fresh soap is almost intoxicating.

"What does the girl look like?", his voice is husky as he asks. A shiver runs down your spine, and you don't move from his embrace, even if it somehow feels wrong. Even if you know it's wrong.

"You can't see her face", you whisper, "All you see is her hair. It's long and flowing behind her, a dark chestnut brown".

The same as mine.

The tension is suffocating, none of you daring to say another word. He turns his head, looking down at you, skin shining in the dim light. His eyes are intense, fixed on your lips.

You couldn't help but admire him, looking like both an angel and a devil, staring you down. The shadows from the trees and high bushes cut across his face, making one light and one dark side.

Something about those plump lips makes you want to taste them. They look addicting, as if you would never be able to let go again if you touched them once. And you have the feeling you want to do exactly that.

His hand lifts from your waist. Slowly, he strokes away a strand of hair, tucking it behind your ear and tracing his fingers along your skin. You keep staring at him, not wanting to understand what was happening.