Part III

People's stories don't always have to be perfect

~~

"You'd look better with your hair down"

"Mi Cha! We're going to be late!", your mother called up the stairs. You sighed, loosening the tight dress a little. Looking back into the mirror, you absently plucked at the strands curled around your face.

You were going to the opening of a new museum tonight. A friend of your mothers ran it, and since you were interested in paintings and art in general, your mother had thought it would be a good idea to go.

You didn't mind in the slightest, but that the dress she'd insisted on was so tight around the chest area... Sure, you knew you looked great, but you felt like you were being suffocated. Grimacing, you fiddled with the string that laced the back together.

"Kim Mi Cha! Come now!", she sounded annoyed now. You gave up trying to make this comfortable and opened the bathroom door. Grabbing your purse, you headed down the stairs.

Your mother and father were standing in the hall of the penthouse. Your father wore an elegant suit and smiled proudly as you came down the stairs. Your mother had on a loose fitting, green skirt and blouse, clasp purse in her hand.

"Do I have to wear something so tight?", you complained, stowing your phone in your purse. Your mother rolled her eyes. "Stop complaining, beautiful. Now come on, they're waiting for us".

At least she'd spared you from wearing heels. The black boots, paired with tights, were quite comfortable. Your father grinned at the both of you.

"My two lovely ladies", he offered your mother his arm, "Let's go, darling".

You followed behind them, settling in the car and then taking out your phone. You smiled as you saw a message from Hoseok, asking what you were doing tonight.

You: Going to a gallery opening. What were you planning?

Hobi: Damn, I wanted to have a Avengers Movie Marathon. Guess I'll have to do it alone :c

You: You big baby, we saw each other just this morning! I'll text you when I get back!

Hobi: Have fun! Don't get drunk and embarrass me lol

You: You know I won't. Don't get drunk and go dancing on tables if you go to a bar with friends

Hobi: Uncalled for, that was once

You: But it still happened

You switched off your phone, smiling. Leant back in the car seat and stared out of the window. The city rushed passed you, your parents playful bickering filling the car. 

It didn't take long for you to arrive. The gallery was beautifully lit, people pouring into the entrance, even a red carpet laid out, paparazzi waiting. You got out of the car, eyes wide in awe and surprise.

"This is already beautiful", you said to your dad, who smiled, taking your mother's arm again. "I'm glad you like it, sweetheart. Do you want to enter with us or alone?"

"Nobody knows who I am if I'm not with you", you joked, half in earnest, "Of course I'll go with you".

~~

The gallery was as amazing from the inside as from the outside. While your parents talked to some friends, you walked around the entrance hall to examine the pieces on display. You were admiring a painting of the sunset when someone bumped into you.