fifteen: birthday

One Week Later... Friday, May 19th

Ethan's POV

I left my last class of the day as the bell rang and started walking to Lexi's locker, part of her birthday present in my hand.

"Hey, man." I heard a voice and looked behind me to see Spencer, Tatum, and Nessa. They looked like the cliché clique from every high school drama movie.

"Hey..." I said, suspicious of why they'd talk to me.

"Is Lexi having a party or something tonight? I mean, it's her birthday, and it's Friday." Spencer asked me. I glanced around before walking closer to him.

"You've put her through hell and if you don't see it, you're just ignorant. It's not really your business." I told him, looking him dead in the eye.

"It kind of is. We're her friends." Tatum shrugged.

"When was the last time you hung out with her, let alone even text her?" I asked her. Her face turned a light shade of red.

"That's what I thought." I nodded.

"Listen, is she having one or not?" Spencer asked impatiently.

"No, she has better plans than throwing a party and inviting a bunch of people who she doesn't give two shits about. But even if she were, don't expect her to invite you." I said, my voice low, before walking away. I really don't get what Lexi saw in him. I weaved through the swarm of people until I reached Lexi. She was putting away her textbooks.

"Happy birthday!" I said loudly, wrapping my arms around her.

"Thank you, Ethan. But you've already told me that five times today." She laughed, and I let go of her.

"Here." I said, leaning against the lockers and handing her the white envelope. She opened it
carefully before pulling out the card, and when she opened it, the two slips of paper almost fell out.

"Ethan!" She exclaimed rather loudly, and I noticed people look over at us.

"We're going to see 5 Seconds of Summer??" She asked, looking up at me.

"Tonight." I nodded, and I couldn't help but smile seeing her so happy.

"Oh my god." She muttered, before hugging me tightly.

"Thank you Ethan." She said as I hugged her, and out of the corner of my eye, saw Spencer and the two girls walk out the door, glancing at us as they left.

"You're welcome." I answered, kissing her on the forehead.

About twenty minutes later...

"Why do you have to blindfold me?" Lexi chuckled as I held her hand, guiding her down her driveway and towards the front door.

"Because there's more for you." I stated, opening the front door and stepping inside. Grayson and I came over at lunch to do this, and we had Madisyn take Lexi out to lunch so she wouldn't notice my absence. I closed the door behind us and took the blindfold off Lexi. She immediately smiled when she saw the rose petals leading up the stairs. She started going up, following the trail. She went into her room and I heard a quiet 'aww' as I stepped into her room just shortly after her.

"E.. you did all this?" She asked, admiring the large bouquet of roses on her dresser and the dozens of balloons that were covering the ceiling. Rose petals scattered the floor, making it seem like the set of The Bachelor.

"With some help of Grayson of course. We did it at lunch." I smiled proudly. She noticed the small box wrapped in gold paper next to the flowers.

"Open it." I laughed a little, as she chuckled and picked it up. She pulled off the paper and revealed the black velvet box. She lifted up the top and slightly gasped when she saw the necklace. The gold necklace with a small circle pendant with an engraved 'E' on it. She looked at me.

"I thought that it was about time I ask you, now that I know we feel the same. I want people to know you're mine, that you belong to 'E'. I want people to know us as 'Ethan and Lexi', not just 'Ethan.. and Lexi'. So...will you be my girlfriend?" I asked her, realizing I was getting lost in her mocha-colored eyes. 

"Ethan, I'd love to." She smiled, leaning into me as our lips connected like they were made for each other. It felt different this time, but a good different. It felt more real than before. We pulled away from each other and Lexi handed me the necklace. I walked behind her and she moved her hair out of the way so that I could put it around her neck. I clasped the ends together and wrapped my arms around her neck, as we stood in front of the mirror. 

"Perfect." I smiled. 

"Thank you Eth." She smiled at me through the mirror and I felt her body relax. 

"You're welcome." I responded. "Do you know what you're-" I was beginning to ask when Lexi's phone rang. She walked over to her bed and picked up her phone. 

"Hey Grandma." Lexi answered, before walking out of the room. 

FLASHBACK

"Grayson!" I yelled from my room as I looked in the mirror.

"Yeah?" He answered, appearing in my doorway.

"Do I look okay?" I asked him. I decided on a red and black flannel and black skinny jeans. Grayson looked at me.

"Yeah. You should wear your black Converse." He said nodding.

"Okay. Thanks man." I said, walking back into my closet and grabbing the shoes.

"I know I always give you heck about Lexi and I never really mean it, but just have fun tonight." He said to me.

"Have fun with Madisyn. But not too much fun." I told him as I finished tying my shoes.

"I can't promise anything." He said, putting his hands up and walking out of my room to go get himself ready. I put my wallet in my back pocket and made sure I had my phone before walking downstairs and grabbing my car keys from a hook as I went out the front door.

END OF FLASHBACK

I remember how I felt that night before Lexi and I's date. Maybe it was just a friend date, I don't know. But I never thought in a million years that I would be able to call her my girlfriend.

 I thought it was just in my dreams...