eight: "date"

VALENTINE'S DAY- WEDNESDAY, FEB. 14TH

Ethan's POV

"Hey man." Mason said, sitting down next to me in Precalculus, the period just before lunch.

"Hey Mason, what's up?" I asked, taking out my textbook and homework from the night before. 

"Honestly, trying to figure out something to do with Claire tonight... I should've planned things sooner." He said. 

"You guys could go to dinner and then go to a movie." I suggested, thinking about how Grayson and Madisyn were doing that tonight. Lexi and I had planned it then talked to Grayson about it, who then met up with Madisyn for coffee and asked her on the date. 

"Not a bad idea, Dolan. What about you and Lexi?" He asked. 

"We're just friends, Mason. I've told you that before." I told him, just as our teacher walked in the room. 

"She means a lot to you Ethan, we can all see it." He said, pulling out his homework from his backpack.

"Yeah of course she does, she's my best friend. We need each other." I said quietly as Mrs. Lesman began to talk.

"I bet you wouldn't want another guy taking her away from you though." He whispered, as I looked at the board and started to write down the notes for today. 

"She's not necessarily mine, we aren't d-" I was telling him before I got cut off. 

"Dolan, my room after school." Mrs. Lesman said. I nodded, shutting my mouth. The rest of math class went by achingly slow. As soon as the bell rang, I walked out of the room and found Lexi waiting by the student store. 

"Hey." I said, walking up to her. 

"Hey!" She said happily. 

"Someone's in a good mood." I commented as we walked to an empty lunch table. 

"Spencer wanted to talk to me sometime today, so maybe we're gonna go out or something." She said, suddenly making feel a little jealous.

"Oh, that would be nice." I said, forcing a smile. 

"Yeah." She smiled, taking out her lunch and her Calculus textbook, along with a notebook and pen. 

"You're just now taking that test?" I asked. 

"You've already taken it?" She asked in surprise.

"Yeah. It's all multiple choice, it's not very hard and you're-" I was saying until Lexi interrupted. 

"There's Spencer. Act natural." She said, looking somewhere behind me, before looking down to her notes. 

"Hey." I heard a minute later, as Spencer sat at one of the empty chairs at the table, across from Lexi.

"Hey Spence." She smiled, looking up. 

"How are you?" He asked. 

"I'm good, how are you?" She asked, putting down her pen that she was writing with.

"I'm okay." He answered. 

"As you know, it's Valentine's Day..." He said with a smug look on his face. Lexi smiled. 

"It is..." She said. 

"Have you seen Tatum around?" He asked, and it was almost as if I could feel Lexi's devastation. 

"Um, I think she told me she was going to the library during lunch. You might wanna check there." She said, looking back down to her textbook. 

"Alright, I'll go look for her there, thanks Lexi." He said smiling, before standing up and walking away.