three: peas

ONE MONTH LATER; FEBRUARY 9TH

Lexi's POV 

"Ethan's coming over today." I told my mom as I walked into the kitchen. 

"Ooh, is that your boyfriend?" Ryan teased, drawing out the last word. 

"No, we're just friends." I glared at him, telling the honest truth. Ethan and I have gotten so close in just the month that he's been here- so close that it feels like we've been best friends for years. 

"Okay, what do you want your dad to make for dinner?" She asked. 

"Mom, it's not a 'he's-meeting-my-family-cause-he-wants-to-date-me' thing, we're just hanging out. I've told you that he's one of my best friends now... we'd be fine with take out, it really doesn't matter." I explained, grabbing a peach from the fridge and washing it under the cool water of the sink, then taking it to a cutting board and slicing it up.

"Okay honey, if you say so..." She said quietly, putting on her shoes. 

"So Gabe can come over then?" Ryan asked through a mouthful of Lucky Charms. I took a bite of the juicy, ripe fruit.

"Sure, if you're nice to your sister she can drive both of you home." My mom said to him, finally being on my side for once. 

"Ryan, you need to be ready in fifteen minutes if you want a ride." I said over my shoulder and I filled a glass of water. 

"Bye kiddos, have a great day." My mom said quickly, the door shutting seconds later. 

"Be ready in fifteen minutes Ry." I called out as I began to walk up to my room. 

At School... 

"Lexi!" I heard behind me, and turned to see Ethan and his brother Grayson walking towards me through the parking lot. 

"Hey." I said, once they'd caught up to me. Ethan slung his arm around my shoulder as the three of us walked into the school together. 

"It's finally Friday! Aren't you excited?" Ethan asked as we walked towards my locker.

"Not at all..." I sarcastically said as I smiled, removing his arm from around me as I turned the lock and the door popped open. 

"I'm gonna head to class, I'll see you guys at lunch." Grayson said, walking away.

"Bye!" I yelled down the hallway. Ethan turned to me.

"Geez, someone's a loud mouth." He leaned against the locker next to mine.

"Shut up." We laughed. 

"Hey Madisyn." I waved as she walked over to us. 

"You guys are just two peas in a pod aren't you?" She commented, looking around the hall distractedly.

"Sure?" Ethan answered, followed by him looking over at me as I shrugged my shoulders. 

"You okay Mads?" I questioned.

"Oh um, yeah. You're coming to Markel's party tonight, right?" She asked, looking between Ethan and me.

"Maybe." Ethan answered before I could say anything.

"You guys should. I gotta go but I'll see you at lunch." She walked away without saying another word.

"Maybe?" I asked once she was long gone. 

"Yeah." He shrugged. 

"Do you wanna go?" I asked, shutting my locker as we began to walk to first period, which we have together.