Chapter 6 • The Search

I'm so sorry for the extremely late update! School is really taking a toll on me. Anyways, after this chapter, things are going to get a lot more exciting, so this boring-ness will end soon! Don't worry! Although, please read, vote, and comment, as I always ask you to do, hahaha. I hope you like this chapter!

Chapter 6 • The Search

I gulp loudly as I watch Erza run off through the trees in my opposite direction; her scarlet red hair waving me goodbye. I scratch my head and turn around to the route I am ordered to search in. My stomach is churning. We have no idea how big this island is, or if our comrades are still here. I just hope that we will find them quickly, and get out of this mysterious place. However, I can't help but chuckle; I feel so sorry for the one who will be found by Erza. I begin walking through the forest by myself.

The howls of the nature around me become louder and louder each minute, and I wince when an animal flies or scurries past me. I'm not used to the flora and fauna, especially of this island, nor do I want to be; too many animals in one place makes me sick.

After about ten minutes or so of searching, I haven't gotten any closer to our destination; it seems like I've just been walking in a circle the whole time. I look to my left, then to my right, and I find that my theory is accurate. What a waste of time, I say to myself, straightening my sweater and taking a deep breath. I could have found one of those brats already. I'm sure Erza already did. I stare up at the sky and realize a large cloud has moved in front of the yellow sun, but I doubt it will rain. It makes the whole forest eerie and dark, just like the one Erza and I were in just before this. I look around, my head jerking in all directions, trying to find some type of light I can eat and use. I can't wield my light magic because I have to conserve it for later use, in case if I run into trouble. I stop walking, all hope lost. I rest my back on a hard, stiff tree bark, and sit down on the light green grass infested with bugs and dirt. I lay my sack next to me.

Wait a second, I say to myself. Light...

I unzip my bag, rummaging through my clothes, only to find the flashlight I stole from Red's belongings. With a spark of hope, I turn the flashlight on in a hurry. If I eat light from there, I'll have enough to guide myself out of the darkness, and conserve for later use. Unfortunately, the light doesn't even illuminate.

Damn it, I say to myself, disappointed in my idiocy. How could I forget I ate all the light a while ago?

A while ago. How long has that been? Everything has been going so fast, but so slow at the same time. It hasn't even felt like an hour since I defeated Red and was happily in Fairy Tail. But it's been almost a day. But at the same time, it feels like the last time I saw Erza, Makarov, and Mirajane was weeks and weeks ago. I want to be back to Magnolia Town at the moment, talking to Mira, watching Natsu and Gray fight, be with my family. Although, this fantasy is not what my mind should be on right now. In reality, I am confused, tired, and terrified that I will be ambushed at any second. Is this how all S-Class trips are?

I hear my stomach growl, and I stand up, scanning the area for something to eat. I look up. A small ray of sunlight swoops down behind the cloud, and I stare at it. After a few seconds, I shake my head. I'm not that desperate for food, I lie to myself. Without a second thought, I continue walking, and the green grass becomes taller and taller as I continue. I hear a few rustles in the nearby bushes, but I don't mind them. It's probably one of those sly animals I encountered before.

Rustle, rustle, rustle.

I listen to the continuous noises from the nature surrounding me, and I start to get suspicious. I begin to have a feeling as if I'm being watched.