the notebook by nicholas sparks

( kindly avoid commenting any spoilers for those who haven't read the book. )

Read from 23.11.2018 to 25.11.2018

Book ~ The Notebook

Author ~ Nicholas Sparks

Blurb ~ The Notebook is an achingly tender story about the enduring power of love, a story of miracles that will stay with you forever. Set amid the austere beauty of coastal North Carolina in 1946, The Notebook begins with the story of Noah Calhoun, a rural Southerner returned home from World War II.  

I borrowed this book from my friend, before setting off to my uncle's place for the weekend. I had been wanting to read this book for so long! So, when I finally got my hands on it, I couldn't keep it down.

In the beginning, Noah say this story could be a love story or a tragedy, depending upon whether you're a romantic or a cynic. For me, it was a love story. A story which shows that true love endures the test of time, distance and sometimes even death and disease. 

The book is a short length novel, which could be appealing to those who aren't crazy bookworms. With its simple and eloquent language, tender and heart-touching lines and a beautiful story line which resonates with every one who has been in love, this book wouldn't fail to make you believe in love. What I loved the most about this book is its rawness and tenderness. It was raw and real at its core. There was no fairy-tale element in it. There was no unrealistic, filmy stuff. It was real love at its core. It showed how beautiful and how ugly love could get and how the only way to love is to stay and just love. Nothing more. 

And the best part for me was how beautifully Sparks has put forth the country life before the readers. Being a city dweller, my heart always aches for the country side. There were several parts in the book which made me travel the country side, breathe in its air and let my soul sway to the soft breeze. 

I wouldn't be giving any spoilers, but I must recommend this book to everyone who likes to have a light read and a lifelong impact. I have been thinking about this book since I finished it and I know I will be thinking about it for a long time. This book will stay.

To share some of my favourite parts from the book... 

"Dusk, I realised then, is just an illusion, because the sun is either above the horizon or below it. And that means that day and night are linked in a way that few things are; there cannot be one without the other, yet they cannot exist the same time. How would it feel, I remember wondering, to be always together, yet forever apart?"

"...the first time you fall in love, it changes your life forever, and no matter how hard you try, the feelin' never goes away."

"...growing just a bit warmer by the time he'd finished. It wasn't just the poems of his voice that did it. It was all of it, the whole greater than the sum of the parts. She didn't try to break it down, didn't want to, because it wasn't meant to be listened to that way. Poetry, she thought, wasn't written to be analyzed; it was meant to inspire without reason, to touch without understand."

"The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. Maybe they always have been and will be. Maybe we've lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we've found each other. And maybe each time, we've been forced apart for the same reasons. That means that this goodbye is both a goodbye for the past ten thousand years and a prelude to what will come."

"Nothing is ever really lost, or can be lost,

No birth, identity, form -- no object of the world,

Nor life, nor force, nor any visible thing;..

The body, sluggish, ages, cold -- the embers left from earlier fires,

...shall duly flame again;"

So, here you go! I hope you enjoyed the book review. If you want me to add something else to it, do comment inline here :) --->

Have you read the book already? If you have, what has stayed with you from it?  Do comment your experience inline here :) ---->

Also, what are you reading these days? Comment the name and the author of the book which has hooked you these days. Share the magic of books here in the comments --->

Thank you for reading! Have a good day.