Chapter 8 Part 2: Her Past

Chapter 8 Part 2

"Somebody said every day, was gon' be sunny skies / Only Marvin Gaye and lingerie, I guess somebody lied" Tamar Braxton - Love and War

Loud pounding on the bedroom door woke me up. I felt like I was sleeping on a piece of heaven. I heard Elaine groan and I didn't open my eyes. I had to soak up more comfort from her wonderful bed. I heard harsh whispering before someone shook my shoulder roughly.

"What did you give her?" I heard Rick ask.

"Nothing. We ate candy and went to sleep," Elaine whispered.

It was silent for a few moments before he said, "All this candy? Are you stupid? You don't let someone eat a pound of candy." That's when I knew I had to get up. I couldn't let Rick stand here and berate a child for the choices of an adult.

"It's okay," I croaked. I sat up and cleared my throat. "Elaine didn't do anything." The curtains were drawn back from the large bay windows. I shielded my eyes, looking around the room. "What time is it?" I asked while patting the bed trying to find my phone.

"It's 9. You two missed breakfast," Rick answered throwing my iPhone on my lap. I didn't care about breakfast. I stayed up late watching movies and talking to Elaine. She was like the energizer bunny. We didn't go to bed until 4am. At one point I thought I would pass out but I resisted. "Elle get up and get ready we have to go," Rick barked, snapping me back in the moment.

I rolled my eyes. "Shush, we don't have to leave right now."

"It's a three hour drive to Stamford and you take forever to get ready."

"Damn shut up. I just woke up and you're bothering me. Leave me alone." I heard Rick grumble out whatever when he turned to walk away. The bedroom door closed and I flopped back against the comfortable mattress. Five more minutes wouldn't hurt.

"Wow," Elaine sat next to me. "It always amazes me watching you talk to my brother."

I turned towards her and propped up on my elbow. "Don't be amazed, take notes. However Rick talks to you, is the way you talk to him." She nibbled on her bottom lip like she was afraid of him or something. "Don't let him intimidate you. He's only a person and you deserve just as much respect as he does."

After napping for another half hour I finally got up and went back to the guestroom. It didn't take me long to shower, moisturize and apply my make-up. Elaine sat on my bed the whole time; she's been melancholy and following me around with a small pout.

Since I'm spending the day with my people, who wouldn't judge my fashion choices, I wore a magenta short sleeve fitted crop top with a pair of high waist denim short shorts that stopped a few inches under my ass. It was 90 degrees meaning I wasn't about to be covered up for anyone. I stepped into my plain black flip-flops at the same time the door was opening.

"Before you start complaining, know that I'm all finished." Rick chuckled and crossed the room to stand in front of me. His hands went to my exposed sides, caressing them.

"Where's the rest of your clothes?" He asked, laughing. I pushed him away from me. My suitcase was laid open on the mattress, I put the heels of my wedges together and placed them in the side pocket. Carefully, I put my make-up bag on top everything. With a final zip I pulled the heavy luggage off the bed and on the floor. Thinking quickly, I sauntered up to Rick and put my hands on his chest. I gazed up at him, taking my bottom lip between my teeth. "Oh shit, what do you want?"

"Can you carry my suitcase for me please?" I asked batting my lashes. Rick sighed. He pulled me into an embrace, leaning down to kiss my lips twice before letting me go and walking away. I waited for him to grab my suitcase but he completely left the room. "Rick!"