𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗼

Start from the beginning

   Hope's tracking spell led the group to a small wooded area on the side of the highway. Five minutes into the walk, and Hope declared, "I don't know why he's still out here. He has a whole day's lead on us. He could be anywhere."

Laya merely sighed at Hope's judging comment. "Maybe 'cause he doesn't have a reason to run," Rafael retorted defensively. Hope scoffed, "Logic that would be perfectly believable if he hadn't you know, ran."

Rafael stormed forward, "Wait━" Laya shushed them. Not far away, twigs snapped. "You hear that?"

"Someone's here," Dr. Saltzman affirmed. Laya nodded, and with the hybrid's assurance, Dr. Saltzman dashed through the trees. It didn't take long for the teenage hybrid to catch up with him, but it's what she stopped at that caught Laya's attention.

A woman in white, covered in grime hid behind a tree. Her eyes were wild as though something bad had happened. When she noticed the four, she stood. "I-It's okay," Dr. Saltzman promised. "I-I'm not gonna hurt you."

As Dr. Saltzman stepped forward, the woman stepped back. "Were you on the bus?" Finally, Hope and Rafael caught up to them pausing at the sight. The woman still stared at everything curiously. Like she hadn't before seen a tree.

"Can you tell us what happened?"

"Is she a survivor?" Hope queried.

"Uh, smells like it. She reeks of smoke." Laya nodded glancing back at Rafael before refocusing on the strange woman. "I think she's in shock. Look, I need to get her to the police so she can get some medical attention. Uh, why don't you three go ahead? Don't engage. We don't know how dangerous Landon is."

"He's not dangerous━" Rafael tried to protest, but Dr. Saltzman shut him down. "I said don't engage."

"Come on." Hope expected Rafael to follow already begging her trek away from the three, but he didn't. Rafael glared at Alaric almost as though he was challenging the headmaster. Laya faked a smile, taking Rafael's much larger one in her own, and pulling him away. "Come on, Wolf Boy."

Rafael glimpsed back at
Dr. Saltzman one last time before following Laya.

"What exactly happened on that bus?" Laya didn't want to answer. Rafael was confused enough as it was. "No one knows," Hope replied. "It's like something incinerated it from the inside."

Laya simply sighed focusing on the dead leaves beneath her feet. Rafael was angry though, the wolf sped up so he could be next to Hope, like that would make a difference. "Look, whatever he did, I know there's a good explanation. He's the most loyal friend that I've ever had. He was there for me on the worst day of my life. After my girlfriend died, he's the only thing that kept me going."

There it was. The reason to stay away from Rafael. Laya made one for every guy she ever had a crush on. Liking a boy with that much baggage would leave Laya in a world of heartbreak in pain. That was her reason. Just friends.

"So let me get that knife back for you, and then we both can hear him out, okay?" Rafael's pleas pulled Laya back into reality. She was too tired to realize she had zoned out. "Appreciate the passion, but maybe you should exert some of it making new friends."

"Hope," Laya warned. The tribrid paused, a stubborn eyebrow raised, "What?"

"Imagine that was me down there. Maybe you don't call me your best friend, but your mine. And if you were down there, I wouldn't be so cruel." Hope looked back in fourth between the two standing across from her.