37'LIGHT BEAMS

“You’re . . . a Rare Blood?

     My eyes widened hearing what she just asked. “S-Suwan . . .” I uttered, almost a whisper. My heart beating so fast as if it was in a race to win.

     How did she know?

     “You’re a Rare Blood,” Suwan said in assurance, making me remember that she could read minds. Siguro’y nawala na ang spell sa amin kaya nagagawa na niyang basahin ang mga isip ng mga taong nakapaligid sa kan’ya. “And you’re a daughter of an Aries and a Gemini,” she continued lazily na siyang halos magpahimatay sa akin.

     I saw myself un-moving. I held my breath tight. I didn’t know what to say.

     “Suwan, I-I can explain,” kaba ko.

     “Shhh . . .” she mumbled, her expression seemed to tell me that she just made a decision, “Your secret is safe with me, ‘China,” a choice not to put me in trouble. And then, she smiled worriedly.

     Napangiti na rin ako’t agad ko siyang niyakap. Akala ko’y hindi niya ako matatanggap. Akala ko’y sasabihin niya ang nalaman niya sa mga kasama namin. “Salamat,” I thanked.

     “Tayo na,” she reminded us to already move forward.

     We then already passed through our doors and led ourselves to where our co-Bearers were. Iniluwa naman kaming lahat 30 degrees apart from each other maliban na lang sa akin at kay Con dahil wala si Xayl’.

     There, we saw the 13th Key I had never seen before, floating midair and slowly moving in circular motion. It cast a beam of combined violet and dark lights together, cutting through the sky. Kaya mas lalo akong kinabahan. It was the light that made the whole Zoidion be covered with dark clouds. Pero ang mas lalong nagpakaba sa akin, at sa lahat ng Bearers, ay ang presensiya ng isang lalakeng nakatalikod sa akin. I couldn’t see his face, though others could see it, I knew it was Opoles.

     And when he turned around to face the other half of the Great Circle, he said, “I’ve been waiting for you, Bearers,” and then, he chuckled evilly.

     We didn’t move―we just couldn’t. We’re hammered on our feet. We felt fear somehow growing inside our bodies. Hindi naman iyon ang naramdaman namin nang tinulungan niya kaming mag-training, but his presence somehow changed like a black aura was covering over him.

     The beam of light suddenly disappeared and what came next was him already holding the 13th Key. Napakabilis nito’t hindi man lamang namin namalayan. And as a reflex, we released our nimbi and converted it to Keys to be our defenses.

     “Is this what you want?” he placed the Key at his face, scanning it so amusingly. And when he’s done, it converted to an Ophiuchus Sign on the center of his forehead. “Well, you have to defeat me before it happens.” And just that, he extended his hand in front and in just one wave of it, agad na lang kaming tumilapon palayo with great impact.

     I blurted a moan in pain when I landed hard on the ground. I felt a bone broke. Napakasaskit ng buo kong katawan at hindi ko alam kong makakatayo pa ba ako.

     I panted hard. I tried to moved pero mas lalong sumasakit ang katawan ko.

     How did he do it to us in one wave of a hand? Napakalas niya.

     I tried to stand up just as what others were trying to do, then I realized that I was shaking, feeling the pain―trying to tolerate it.

     I saw my co-Bearers also trying to ignore the pain pero kita ko sa mga mukha nila ang sakit at ang takot nang mapagtanto naming wala na sa mga kamay namin ang mga Key.

     “Buwisit!” I heard Con cursed.

     Lumulutang na ngayon ang mga susi sa kung saan kami nakatayo kanina. It was floating with the help of his power. At bigla na lang iyong inilipad pataas where we couldn’t reach it.

     “Thanks for the Keys. . . .” Opoles grinned evilly before waving his hand again. That time, we flew up quickly, and in the space of a heartbeat, a great force plonked us downward.

     I heard everyone shouted in pain when we landed hard on the ground.

     “You, as*hole!” I heard Con cursed and ran fast toward Opoles pero bago pa man niya ito masuntok ay lumutang na si Con sa hangin, and in Opoles will, bumulusok pababa si Con and landed on the ground for the third time.

     “Con!” Taru hollered, then she made a great dust storm and locked it to Opoles. Nagkaroon naman ng pagkakataon sina Kases, Adiya, at si Zyke na gamitin ang mga elemental power nila, while Gemida used his sonic voice. Pinaulanan nila ito ng kanilang kapangyarihan, assuring that he wouldn’t come out alive from their attacks.

     It was already a minute so they already stopped. Unti-unti naman naming naaaninag ang kinaroroonan niya, hoping he’s defeated. But we failed. Nabigla na lang kami nang makitang ginamit niya ang magic circle ng Key bilang pananggalang.

     “You really want to fight, huh?” his voice sounded to be challenged, then he smiled wickedly. “Then let’s get it started.” He hoisted the Gate Key above. “Serpents of the Snake Charmer . . . come out!” A vast magic circle that served as a gate showed up above him. Kasabay naman nito ay ang paglabas ng labing-isang magic circles, isa sa harap ng bawat isa sa amin. And in a second, each had become a gateway for two black serpents, equally 10-feet in height.

     My heart beat fast. Napaatras ako nang bahagya nang mapatingin sa akin ang dalawang serpente na sumulpot sa harapan ko. They moved toward me in fast pace pero hindi ko maigalaw ang mga paa ko.

     What am I going to do? I don’t have a power?

     “’China!” Adiya called, then threw air spikes toward the serpents in front of me. Kapalit naman nito ay ang pagtilapon ni Adiya palayo nang matamaan siya ng buntot ng isa sa mga kalaban niya.

     “Adiya!” I hollered. I felt guilty seeing her fell
hard. Iniligtas niya ako’t siya naman ang nasaktan.

     I heard a sound coming from where Opoles was. I saw our Keys, including Xayl’s, already covered with light. Umiilaw ang mga ito’t tuluyan nang lumabas ang beam of lights ng mga ito. It cut through the sky and it lit up the whole Great Circle. I didn’t know what was he up to but I’m sure it wouldn’t be good.

     Opoles lifted the Ophiuchus Gate Key and it floated above him. A second after, it’s already producing its own beam of light upward. And when it happened, all the beams of lights of the 12 Keys moved toward the 13th Key as if they’re transferring all their energy to it. Naging kulay itim naman ang beam of light ng ikalabintatlong susi. And from the end of its beam of light in the sky, a dark red magic circle was forming. At habang tumatagal ay lalo itong lumalaki.

     “’Chinaaa!” It was Con, already in front of me. I then saw the two serpents coming back to get me when Con held my hand.

     “Kumapit ka sa akin,” he told me so I did. Then we ran fast. In no time we’re already beside Taru. “Hi, Taru!” he greeted.

     Napasama naman ang tingin ni Taru sa kan’ya.

     A serpent hissed. We turned our eyes in front at laking gulat na lang namin nang nadagdagan pa ng apat na serpente ang kalaban ni Taru.

     “Uh-oh!” Con, realizing that we just brought Taru our own enemies.

* * *